car overheating?

paulos

ive just bought a s/h astra today but have noticed that the temperature shoots up once the car slows down and when sitting in traffic. the fan kicks in and cools it down, but not until its up to about 100, which seems a little high. does anybody know whether its possible to adjust it/ get one that will kick in quicker?

cheers!

ps. i know just about nothing to do with the workings of cars so forgive me if its a daft question!

ive just bought a s/h astra today but have noticed that the temperature shoots up once the car slows down and when sitting in traffic. the fan kicks in and cools it down, but not until its up to about 100, which seems a little high. does anybody know whether its possible to adjust it/ get one that will kick in quicker?

cheers!

ps. i know just about nothing to do with the workings of cars so forgive me if its a daft question!

may sound stupid but mine does the same when it runs low on water i have a cav diesel other than that try thermo like the last kid said that would be the most cost effective way forward

cheers!

may sound quite dramatic but my experience with vauxhalls (i own one myself) and have done for around 15 yrs are prone and i mean prone to cylinder head gaskets blown. the newer models with the ecotech engines are,nt so bad though. my gamble would be the head gasket even if there isnt any oil in the water or vice versa i'v seen many and i mean many with the same problem HEAD GASKET :)

cheers!

may sound quite dramatic but my experience with vauxhalls (i own one myself) and have done for around 15 yrs are prone and i mean prone to cylinder head gaskets blown. the newer models with the ecotech engines are,nt so bad though. my gamble would be the head gasket even if there isnt any oil in the water or vice versa i'v seen many and i mean many with the same problem HEAD GASKET :)

Won't that pressurise(sp?) the coolant system..:lol:

cheers!

Won't that pressurise(sp?) the coolant system..:lol:

it can do yes but all vauxhalls hold presure in the header tank and sometimes can be mistaken for the head gasket. the only way to find out if i am crrect is to presure test it, but i would be 99% certain thats the problem and if i'm wrong i will eat my words. vauxhalls are noted for it.

sorry forgot to mention go no further than the lo blo engine and the izuzu engine which vauxhall fitted. i know which i prefer from the two.

bear in mind with out seeing the car its hard to be 100%, but change the thermostate this will solve your problem.

temp on the astra tends to run up to the last white mark before the red then the fan cuts in and cools it down,

all you need to do is change the thermostate, and jobs a good one,

When it is running squeeze the coolant pipes, if they are rockhard then you are presurising the system (head gasket).

Can you still get thermostats with different opening temps? Also is there a Winter /Summer setting on the car anywhere?

Is the fan rotating freely? I had an old Sierra (Inline engine with themoviscos fan, different set up I know) that was overheating. After stripping the head down etc I found that the fan housing had slipped and was rubbing on the fan inhibiting the rotation.

May not be an help might spark off other ideas which are more useful.

Worked Has Team Leader at Vauxhall Motors Luton from 1989 to 2002 till plant shut down....

Still run a Vauxhall. If your head gasket has gone you will know about it and will have to be towed home :lol:?

sorry mate but i beg to differ. i have just in the last 3 weeks had one fitted to my astra estate 1.7 t.d lo blo, and i managed to get the 20 miles back home

• 2 weeks later...

Worked Has Team Leader at Vauxhall Motors Luton from 1989 to 2002 till plant shut down....

Still run a Vauxhall. If your head gasket has gone you will know about it and will have to be towed home :good:?

sorry mate but i beg to differ. i have just in the last 3 weeks had one fitted to my astra estate 1.7 t.d lo blo, and i managed to get the 20 miles back home

I've driven hundreds of miles in Vauxhalls with failed head gaskets as our vans used to go every 40K without fail. I'd say first check your water, if its low top it up and see if it stops the problem. If it does then thats that. If it doesn't check the water if its used it then odds are Head gasket problems. If its not used it then check the thermostat and rad