Highclere Country Fair

beatingisbest

• 1 month later...

I will be there Sunday for a bit of a mooch and few :stupid:

Might do one or more of the shoots.

May even have a go at the casting competiton :)

Gully, you should enjoy it, it is one of only 'real' Game Fairs left - no people selling car polish and all the other tat (well there wasn't last time I went...)

Take your own gun along, but be warned in the small print on their website it says Fibre wads only 28gram max

http://www.countrymanfairs.co.uk/southern/southern_home.html

Yup. I went on Sunday. Was a bit of a wash out weather wise but still a good turn out none-the-less.

I was only there for about 3 hours but managed to get around everything. If it wasn't raining so much I'd have stayed longer and had a sit down with some grub and a pint. I missed the Axemen display but there an excellent long netting display which I really enjoyed. There was a really good lurcher racing competition too where they simulate hare coursing. I counted at least 3 arenas working simultaneously. I looked in on the clay shooting but moved on pretty quick as I get enough of that anyway.

It had all the usual clothing, gunmakers, food, fishing, working dog stalls etc. Seemed to be lots of falconry stuff this year.

Did anyone shoot this? I went today but the weather was so grim that by the time we'd been round everything the kids had lost all their welliesin the mud , fallen over, frozen to death etc that we had to find a warm restauarant in Newbury to defrost them. May? Pah!. I saw the high gun had hit 40/40 and it didn't look too bad.

I went Sunday and we did the clay shoot and the compak, weather was utterly foul all day long.

I knew the weather was going to be bad, but didn't expect it to be that bad - I meant to buy some new deerhunter trousers so took the opertunity to get some there and kept them on after trying them out!

Had 10 shots with a HW100(?) on the airgun stand.

Bought a new sling for rimfire, and didn't but a new slip for the 20bore as I couldn't be bothered to walk round with it finding one that would fit.

I had a quick flick with one of Greys new trout rods and then the usual mooch about + doughnuts +coffee+pasty+beer :/

Had a long chat with the pro stickmakers and drooled over the quality of their work, and spent a bit of time talking the ropemaker as well (one of mates is well into his sailing)

I feel sorry for the organisers and I hope it doesn't put people off going again, as the adverts say it is still one of the true country fairs and it deserves to do well.

Last time we went we sat out on a straw bale drinking in the midday sun - quite a contrast.