New Discovery

bulldog66

Yep spanj but when you spend £50k on a car your expectations are somewhat higher than Jag/Landrover delivers. I've delivered several replacement vehicles to owners of new vehicles and the horror stories are frightening. The dealerships are not helping either with customer service reminiscent of the 80's. A good friend who runs a commercial vehicle sales biz said to me when I was looking for a new 4x4 "buying a L/Rover is an emotional purchase - if you've any sense buy German or Japanese". I still might end up with a Defender but at least my expectations will be realistic.

One thing with the D4 (and the D3 and the old-shape RR Sport). Spare wheel theft. The spare is underslung, and can be stolen quite easily by someone cutting the lightweight steel cable with a pair of bolt croppers, and then dropping the wheel down. £1000 cost to repair, and L/R do not have anything available to make them more secure.

I've heard of one L/R dealership which had this happen to 8 cars in one night, so generally they take them off and store them inside until the vehicle is sold.

people who pay £50k for a car and then expect it to cost £2.50 to maintain make me laugh

But I do expect reliability and a vehicle fit for purpose. Nor do I expect to spend vast sums of my hard earned cash on repairs and even worse the hastle and inconveniance of having working vehicles off the road.

No way would I keep one of mine beyond the guarantee period.

Having said that I've just ordered 1 of what they tell me are the last 25 Defenders available with a choice of spec. as my old one is a little tired. I hope I won't regret it and it proves to be more reliable than my recent Discoveries.