missing em

simonww

any tips on what i might be doing wrong, while out decoying for crows, jackdaws, rooks, i have my decoys out and a few dead crows, anyway my point is im missing the bloody things left right and centre, i must of shot 15 shots to 2 crows, im not that bad of a shot on the clays maybe 35 out of 50.............i even missed a sitter that was on the ground and got up and flew off with both my barrels following it, i know its a bit hard to help on this subject if you cant see me shoot but all tips are welcome

It will be gun mount and you will be just plain missing the birds.

I would guess that you probably shoot clays gun up or with a different gun?

My guess is on gun mount too

Saying that i was shooting the other day and i was missing a lot, but that was probably because i forgot to put any lead on any of them :stupid::blush:

Dont ask me how i forgot :good::oops:

definatly gun mount and worrying why your missing them. I miss most of the ******* when i stand for some reason ? but if i,m sitting, squating or whatever uncomfortable position i can go wrong :stupid:. Dont try so hard , dont aim and above all have a laugh and a gigle when u miss

I'm in the same situation as you. I shot 20/25 at skeet last wednesday, but easily fire a box of cartridges for maybe a couple of rabbits and a bird. I put it down to being spotted by the bird. When they spot you, they change direction rapidly almost stopping in the air, then fly off at great speed! All this unusual movement is unlike a clay, even on a windy day they don't fly that badly. It puts my swing well off before I've even started! I used to miss sitters, until I patterned my gun on a board. mine puts most of the pattern above the bead, so I aim at the birds feet now and get good kills. I'd recommend you blast a board with a spot on it a few times from various ranges and see where you hit in relation to your aim point. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, someone else will be along soon to help us both out :stupid:

If you are consistently missing and you don't have someone who can sit in the hide with you and tell you why, then go to a Clay Ground and either get an Instructor to watch you shoot a round of Sporting (gun unmounted), or have a few lessons.

Its my experience that bad shooting does not correct itself.

If we are competent shots and have a "bad day", thats a different matter, but to continually miss means you need help.

One tip for shooting at any bird sitting (on the ground, or in a tree), aim at its feet.

I used to make the mistake of rushing into the shot, now especially if its an incoming bird, i track it with my eyes whilst slowly bringing the gun up to mount, i then get the bird in sight with the gun and track it, then push infront and fire.

Before i left it too late to mount and as before made stupid "Stab" shots

any tips on what i might be doing wrong, while out decoying for crows, jackdaws, rooks, i have my decoys out and a few dead crows, anyway my point is im missing the bloody things left right and centre, i must of shot 15 shots to 2 crows, im not that bad of a shot on the clays maybe 35 out of 50.............i even missed a sitter that was on the ground and got up and flew off with both my barrels following it, i know its a bit hard to help on this subject if you cant see me shoot but all tips are welcome

if you can hit 35 out of 50 clays you wallop the rooks

you are probably overleading them, or trying too hard, do you ever get up to greetland clay shoot

you are probably overleading them, or trying too hard, do you ever get up to greetland clay shoot

:stupid:

Bang on. They can turn on a sixpence and have cracking eyesight. Stay hidden until the very last second, then stand and shoot.

They are incredibly slow compared to a pigeon, they need very little lead by comparison.

:stupid:

Bang on. They can turn on a sixpence and have cracking eyesight. Stay hidden until the very last second, then stand and shoot.

They are incredibly slow compared to a pigeon, they need very little lead by comparison.

please explain why you need to stand to shoot i don't the more movement the more chance of mr pigeon flaring :blush:

I'm in the same boat do pretty well on sporting clays but miss a great deal of pigeons 'while out decoying with a lad who never shoots clays. He had 11 pigeon for 15 i had 1 for 10 shots When i go clay shooting my gun is mounted ready and i know where the clays are coming from roost shooting or in a hide is a different story Ive only been pigeon/ crow shooting for about 5 weeks so hopefully i will get better

The main thing is i enjoy it

:good: