Ditchman has lost it ..completly !

ditchman

Ditchy, don't know if you remember but on the old two and a quarter the timing marks were "approximate", 99 times out of a 100 once started you had to tweak the timing a touch. That would give the white smoke :good:

Just thought I'd jog the memory a bit :lol: :lol:

thought about the timing...and i had it spot on...even used the pump lock............this is not just "white" smoke at low revs and throttling down ...it is SHED LOADS OF IT.....

we think the pump has been messed about with...the quadrant settings were differant to mine....a lot of people think that in order to increase the tick over you alter the quadrant....WRONG...the quadrant is connected to

1. the cold start excess fuel lever via a spring
  2. then it operates the fuel rack setting via the guvenors
  3. which are inturn connected to the boost needle

the tickover is set via the little didy bolt and lever on the front of the pump.....which USED TO BE (on the old 2.25l the mechanical stop pull control)

what we think is happening is ...as the quadrant isnt set proper it isnt engaging the excess fuel when starting ...as when i tried to start it as normal NO UNBURNT SMOKE CAME OUT OF THE EXHAUST.....so i start it on half revs and that overides the excess fuel hence difficult to start...then throttling down it somehow engages and floods the cylinders with loads of fuel

anyway im not an expert...so we will see next week when i get it back

your thoughts ?

FACTS

• new injectors all pressurised to exactly 2000psi
  • compression pressure on all bores 30bar (425-450psi)
  • no crankcase pressure (dont breath heavy from the rocker box)
  • Turbo perfect....ran it up and down and blipped throttle with clean white paper on turbine exit...CLEAN AS A WHISTLE

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On the old 2 1/4's even when set absolutely bang on they usually needed a tweak once started, it was as if the marks were out on either engine or pump. May be worth keeping in mind and having a play around if still not quite right. I think the timing marks were put on by a bloke with an old tape measure and a chisel :lol: :lol:

If pump has been messed with you've done the right thing, spend what's necessary and get it set properly, at least you're starting from a known datum point instead of trying to guess what COULD have been done in the past. :good:

thought about the timing...and i had it spot on...even used the pump lock............this is not just "white" smoke at low revs and throttling down ...it is SHED LOADS OF IT.....

we think the pump has been messed about with...the quadrant settings were differant to mine....a lot of people think that in order to increase the tick over you alter the quadrant....WRONG...the quadrant is connected to

1. the cold start excess fuel lever via a spring
  2. then it operates the fuel rack setting via the guvenors
  3. which are inturn connected to the boost needle

the tickover is set via the little didy bolt and lever on the front of the pump.....which USED TO BE (on the old 2.25l the mechanical stop pull control)

what we think is happening is ...as the quadrant isnt set proper it isnt engaging the excess fuel when starting ...as when i tried to start it as normal NO UNBURNT SMOKE CAME OUT OF THE EXHAUST.....so i start it on half revs and that overides the excess fuel hence difficult to start...then throttling down it somehow engages and floods the cylinders with loads of fuel

anyway im not an expert...so we will see next week when i get it back

your thoughts ?

FACTS

• new injectors all pressurised to exactly 2000psi
  • compression pressure on all bores 30bar (425-450psi)
  • no crankcase pressure (dont breath heavy from the rocker box)
  • Turbo perfect....ran it up and down and blipped throttle with clean white paper on turbine exit...CLEAN AS A WHISTLE

On pumps who is ? Best left to those that know AND have the gear.

i will start from the beginning again when i get the pump back and then if needed i will advance or retard it..........thats why they have the elongated slots in the pump anyway...so will let you know the outcome

cheers

today i got a call from peter at Brandon deisels ...pump all done and returned to factory settings...pump test was 100%...and excess fuel demand cold start has been increased a little from factory settings.........so i will pick up next week and fit and run up.........

messing about with the boost diaphram on the engine in the l/r today and had found that the locktite had failed on the air side of the screw in pin that pushes the plunger on the fuel side........so i will take it out clean it degrease it and put locktite on the thread and screw it back in so 2.5mm shows on the other side of the diaphram which conects to the rod which pushes the boost fuel rack in..................(the engine has been a bit down on power and surging a touch)

if i can be bothered and dont lose my temper i will take a few photos........(it is a really fiddly job)

finally a bit of grease to hold the plate on whilst i add the springs and cover.........

the differance is instant...i now have turbo boost in all gears right thro the range and it just starts to fade when the engine looses its loading.....no smoke and drives and sounds so smooth and quiet.....if i had screwed the pin in any further it would affect the fuel and been tooo much for the engine

i shall now be joining the norfolk drifting scene...!!!

i wager half the landrovers in this country with either CAV/Lucas or Boshe pumps are running around with splipped boost pins....speaking to Peter at Brandon desiels he said every pump he has taken apart has the boost pin set wrong or the locktite has melted and the pine has unscewed to zero

what a differance it has made........

post-11401-0-71371300-1457106896_thumb.jpg

I did really guess that to be honest :good:

i had to use an accurate way of doing it...........normally on lr's as you know its a hammer and chisel job.......its just that i was told NOT TO EXCEED 3MM as the engine could not cope with the extra boost and resulting power....i think it is the only time i have used a mic' on a landrover engine.... :lol:

well to be fair that part is not landrover ...its CAV/lucas

Fascinating!

Is the grade of Loctite not up to the job then?

could well be................it is a common fault............that you dont realise it until it has been fixed....its like getting ill slowly...you dont notice it much until you get better sort of thing.........

i shall now be joining the norfolk drifting scene...!!!

i wager half the landrovers in this country with either CAV/Lucas or Boshe pumps are running around with splipped boost pins....speaking to Peter at Brandon desiels he said every pump he has taken apart has the boost pin set wrong or the locktite has melted and the pine has unscewed to zero

Be careful Ditchy dear buoy. The subs have gorn up !!

You're getting there. I've got a Robin strimmer that needs looking at if you have the time or inclination?

Be careful Ditchy dear buoy. The subs have gorn up !!

You're getting there. I've got a Robin strimmer that needs looking at if you have the time or inclination?

go on then bring it round .......no promises

give us a shout before you do as ive got to go to Brandon to pick the injector pump up on fri morning...then shopping fri afternoon...such is my life !.......im busy wednesday.............so give us a shout before hand.. :good:

Edited by ditchman

actually my name is desiel ditchy................i only shave my head when im bonking thadia newton..up the "chronicles"........thats why im worn out half the time

Respect Diesel Ditchy, you are indeed a lucky man ..............but don't overpressure your injectors.