Midland Guns?

wildfowler.250

I was looking online because I quite fancy a hammer gun and was looking up Midlands as I know they do make a 3" gun. I found one online that was advertised for just under 1K.. I thought these were relatively cheap and cheerful guns? Is this the going rate for some of them or is someone just taking the mick? Are the good guns?

Cheers!

I used a 3" Midland hammergun as my first gun by chance ! Never saw a 3" cartridge until years later.It was a well enough made gun ,certainly a hard hitter even with 2 1/2 " shells.Would have thought £5-600 was more the mark nowadays but it would have to be in very good order at that. Hth.

Midland built everything from basic to good quality so it`s a case by case assessment as far as individual guns.

Please remember that the 3" will be 3" standard which if memory serve was 4 tons per sq", it is not 3" magnum . Price will depend on condition and scarcity , 3" guns are comparatively rare and one in good condition will fetch the money .

It is also worth noting that our proof houses will not accept 3" guns now for any proof than magnum thanks to the idiots who run CIP who do not understand or have any though of reproofing and only concern them self's with new guns .

Edited by Gunman

Midland made hammer guns of most qualities from very cheap farmer/colonial grade up to pretty decent as standard, and could (and did) make very good guns on request.

Most of the Midland hammer guns I've seen advertised online are lower grade and look like they've had a hard life.

There's a 1920s catalogue online here - see if you can identify the gun and it'll give you a good idea of the original quality and what you should be aiming to pay for the condition it is in today.

It's interesting to note the most expensive 12 bore side-by-side hammer gun in the catalogue is £12.10.00 compared to £35.0.0 for a boxlock ejector and £60.0.0 for a top-of-the-range single trigger sidelock ejector.

I bought a 32" 3" midland hammer gun a couple of months ago for £250. It was from an old friend who wanted me to have it and said himself that it would be able to sell for more. It could do with the barrels re-blued and the woodwork spruced up otherwise the gun is mechanically sound. It has "for 3" paper cases" stamped on the top of the barrels and looking at the proof marks it is nitro proofed for 1 1/2oz. Its a lovely gun to use compared to the other 32" "wildfowling" guns I have had.

Thanks for the replies guys. Didn't realise that 3" was not actually proofed for proper 3 inch shells. Would be fine for inland Wildfowling in scotland though with 42g 2 3/4" shells.

Had a proper hum and haw about this and probably figure money spent along an AYA sbs line would probably be safer spent in terms of resale value ect.

Appreciate the info :good: