Wildfowling

Ttfjlc

Went out last Saturday on the shore, not much to say as I didn't have a shot! Plenty of mallard around but just didn't commit to the pools, still came away with a smile on my face though just me and the dog sitting there being eating alive by mozzies. Certainly beats the stress of having to organise guns on a pheasant shoot who've been coming for years but still need telling exactly where to go as if they were novices. Cheers

post-64447-0-57049300-1442525666_thumb.jpg

Aye that's what it's all about the dog and yourself....ye just switch off...love it,nice dog by the way...atb DT.

Cheers pal, he's lovely, extremely headstrong (my fault) so no good for the pheasants but on the marsh he comes into his own.

Edited by Ttfjlc

Unfortunately Kent he has always been a bit too 'hot to handle' for my skill level. He is so fast even at 7 years old, the one good thing I can say is if I've shot something he'll find it

Well that's not so bad. If the dog can keep still and hidden in the cold, I should rather use a dog like that than a soppy one that had no nose and couldn't swim good and shivered

Well that's not so bad. If the dog can keep still and hidden in the cold, I should rather use a dog like that than a soppy one that had no nose and couldn't swim good and shivered

Fair point Kent, he does sit still until the 'bang' then it's 'where is it Dad where is it Dad?!' :lol:

Depends were you shoot a dog slow off the mark without real drive can do likewise at some venues

You can always tether a keen one but it's hard to put zip into one that doesn't have it

Fine line though

How long does it take to say "get on" while a bird is dropping?

I have yet to experience where 0.5 of a second means the difference between a bird lost and one in the bag

My dog runs in and it drives me nuts and is still something I am battling to stop , fully agree with Farma Geddon it can spoil the flight but I have perhaps seen more dogs on the marsh that do run in than those that don't

Fair point Kent, he does sit still until the 'bang' then it's 'where is it Dad where is it Dad?!' :lol:

Mines like that for any sort of wildfowl which personally i prefer so theres less chance of loosing any birds or leaving a bird to suffer but on a pheasant day be it on a peg picking in a team or beating she is rock steady and wont budge till told but geese and duck once the shots gone off she is out with the hide tangled around her.

Well it's one way of not comming off the Marsh without a bird lol

Fair point! :lol:

It's not actually that hard to teach a dog not to run in , but you need to incorporate it in the training ,and continue that in the field.

If you let your dog run in , where else can you shoot with him?

There are so many things you can't do with a dog like that

I certainly did not let him run in on purpose, I blame myself though for his training, he needed a more experienced handler really. Must admit though one of the silliest things I've ever heard is if the dog runs in you should chase after him, well try going after a Labrador at full speed across a sticky ploughed field, good luck with that.

Sounds like my bitch. She is from Frampton near Boston.

Mine is from King's Lynn, something different in the water around there!

Mines like that for any sort of wildfowl which personally i prefer so theres less chance of loosing any birds or leaving a bird to suffer but on a pheasant day be it on a peg picking in a team or beating she is rock steady and wont budge till told but geese and duck once the shots gone off she is out with the hide tangled around her.

I find that fascinating how a dog can be rock steady for some scenarios and wild for others!

It's not actually that hard to teach a dog not to run in , but you need to incorporate it in the training ,and continue that in the field.

If you let your dog run in , where else can you shoot with him?

There are so many things you can't do with a dog like that

It's a hard transition from dummies to game. Mine gets very excited at gun shot and being on the marsh.

True you don't want a dog running in on s driven day but not many hardened fowlers shoot like that.

Tide is the answer but also in the dog taking the initiative to recover birds you hit and dropped without knowing it

Can I just say my own is steady ( with an odd lapse when it all gets too much lol)

It's the keenest of which I speak well of here though not the actual act of running in