Trout...is this a viable option?

walshie

Everyone is spot on with the tripploids,should fit the bill nicely.

Has ur pond got an outlet? I'd be looking to put some sort of mesh/grid over it to stop fish swimming out.

Prob not as easy as it sounds as it will then have to be cleaned to stop it crudding up and cope with floods

Or build a sluice might be easier?

Yes it's got a pipe that stands out of the water and when it gets too high, it trickles out through that. If it really floods there are 2 large bore pipes going through the bank discharging to the stream below, but these are already meshed. :good:

Think you may find that if the rudd are stunted there is an issue with the water quality, and your other fish may struggle. Don't know much about fish, but in Ireland there were some big lakes with very small trout only in them (capable of breeding though). Yet other waters not far away would have the distribution of trout sizes you would expect. Locals said it was down to the water in those lakes being quite acidic, I've never looked it up. But there had to be a reason these trout weren't growing to a bigger size, and I wonder if same might be case with yours - which incidentally I looked at your other thread and it looked lovely. Good luck with it.

Think you may find that if the rudd are stunted there is an issue with the water quality, and your other fish may struggle. Don't know much about fish, but in Ireland there were some big lakes with very small trout only in them (capable of breeding though). Yet other waters not far away would have the distribution of trout sizes you would expect. Locals said it was down to the water in those lakes being quite acidic, I've never looked it up. But there had to be a reason these trout weren't growing to a bigger size, and I wonder if same might be case with yours - which incidentally I looked at your other thread and it looked lovely. Good luck with it.

Thanks. From what I can tell from the neighbour, there USED to be good size coarse fish in there since the trout, but this was all 3-4 years ago or more. Who knows where they've gone now? Possibly locals fishing there without permission? (Before a heavily armed man and his stroppy dog moved in. :lol: ) The general consensus on why they are stunted is because of the sheer numbers.

Obviously I'm going to try the cheapest methods first. :good:

Edited by walshie

After a lengthy phone call with a trout hatchery, apparently this is fairly common practice to stock these little ponds with trout to sort out whatever's in there. Apparently netting isn't foolproof as you can't get all the fish all the time. It's a bit of a palaver though. I have to register the "fishery" with CEFAS, then when they give me a registration number, I apply to Natural Resources Wales for a site permit, and once i have all that, I can buy some fish. Not till then though.

Edited by walshie

After a lengthy phone call with a trout hatchery, apparently this is fairly common practice to stock these little ponds with trout to sort out whatever's in there. Apparently netting isn't foolproof as you can't get all the fish all the time. It's a bit of a palaver though. I have to register the "fishery" with CEFAS, then when they give me a registration number, I apply to Natural Resources Wales for a site permit, and once i have all that, I can buy some fish. Not till then though.

That does seem like hard work. Is that only the case with trout and if so why? If you wanted to stock It with goldfish would you need to go through all that? What about one of those electric gadgets that they use to stun the fish? Or dynamite?

That does seem like hard work. Is that only the case with trout and if so why? If you wanted to stock It with goldfish would you need to go through all that? What about one of those electric gadgets that they use to stun the fish? Or dynamite?

Applies to all fish movement nowadays. I guess not goldfish as you can buy them anywhere, but hatcheries won't sell you anything without the paperwork. It all moves quite quickly though. The guy from NRW is coming to see the pond Wednesday, even before I get the reg. no. for it.