Didn't think it was going to happen...but it did!

Scully

Was in Staffordshire when last of spring barely was cut so assumed this years stubble decoying was over. Anyhow, found stubble was still there on return and when out with dog yesterday saw loads of corvids on the field, still in stubble.

Mmmm, thinks I, and had a look at weather forecast for today on getting home. Good forecast so a quick call to mate and he was up for it so first thing this morning rushed off to nearest cartridge supplier, meeting lots of shoot vehicles heading for various shoots on the way.

Supplier was on a shoot but his wife was in the shop so all was well, until she couldn't get her iPad to sync' with paypal. As she'd never met me I promised to leave my left leg as collateral but no need says she, and calls hubby, who knows me, and after looking at my ticket she realised she knew most of my family anyhow. Jolly good.

So with all limbs intact rushed back to farm to discover mate wasn't yet back from opticians and by now it was 0920 and I was chomping at the bit. So shoved all gear in back of vehicle while I waited and he eventually turned up....at 0950!.....in his Sunday best! If that was me I'd have gone in my shooting gear, muddy boots and all! So now I have to wait 'til he gets changed and puts on a bit of lippy, then has to return for his flask!

Going through first gate we have to give way for landowner in his gator and I just knew he was going to stop for a chat...and he did!

EVENTUALLY we got going again and sure enough there was a lot of corvids feeding on a part of the field we couldn't really set up on, so drove to where we knew flight line was and set up with our backs to a hedge.

No wind but we put out bobbers on the flanks, a mixture of shells and full bodied pigeons and crows and got settled in, then I took Landy to where birds were still feeding over a 100 yards away and parked it, scattering the lot.

Trudged back to hide and realised I'd left Primos Caller in vehicle but decided I'd do without, then realised I'd left ear plugs in vehicle also!

Collected earplugs and crow caller!

FINALLY got settled into hide and poured a brew. It was 1050.

Started off with a right and left and had killed 9 birds for mates zero, much to my amusement and his frustration. He reckoned his cartridges had been loaded by the RSPB.

Anyhow, a good day was had by both. There were some cracking kills, including mate emptying his auto and killing a bird with each shot in the process and some embarrassingly unbelievable misses, as always.

I quite like the Cheddite 30grm 6's but feel they're a tad under par compared to the same in Clear Pigeon, especially on crows and jackdaws unless hit in the centre of the pattern, but equally as effective on pigeons. There again it could just be my shooting at times, those hit well, were dead in the air. May go a bit tighter with these in future if I can't get hold of CP.

There were a lot of jackdaws, and mostly flying high and over from behind, which meant they often spotted us before getting within range, but we still managed to accumulate a fair number ( the caller turning passing birds time after time ) in a pattern which seemed to be working well, and by the time we had to pack up at just before 4pm we had accounted for 76 mixed corvids plus a handful of pigeons. In all honesty we should have hit the ton, and possibly would have but for some unforgiveable misses. Frustrating.

Came away with smiles on our faces but not saddened by the knowledge this will probably be our last time this year on the decoys.....pheasants just round the corner! :yes:

Great read and sounds like a great day.

Shame to put the deeks away there will be plenty to go at.

My shoot starts last sat of the month down in Barnstaple.

Here pigeons and corvids mostly spread to the four corners even the new drilings are not shooting well. Patience, if only i had some.

• 2 weeks later...