WHAT AIR RIFLE AND WHY

evo

I don't think it would surprise me, I,ve seen just how accurate the HW80 was in my own hands, sorry I ever got rid of it ,

springers certainly have a place in the airgun/hunting world that's for sure but since going to pcp,s I will never go back, I just cant see the point,,

some people prefer springers but for me its pcp all day long, it basically simplifies hunting/plinking so I don't feel the need to make shooting difficult when it has been made easy,

in the right hands SOME springers are certainly as accurate as a pcp BUT over a number of shots in compertition a pcp will always come out on top

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only just found this topic but enjoyed reading all the contributions whilst eating my breakfast and supping my third cuppa. Some of you guys out there seem to have a mountain of knowledge that I'm finding really useful, thanks.

My own favourite's are a BSA Ultra in.22 fitted with a cheap and cheerful NV, the Yukon Photon. it's kept as my night time rat gun and its great fun and accurate as hell at 25 yards. BUT! the Rolls Royce of my guns has to be the Daystate Airwolf MCT FAC in .22. I've got it set at 30 ft lb and its good for rabbits out to 50 yards with AA Diablo 16 grain. I'm sure it'd go further out if I wanted to shoot further with it but I don't need to. I find at that distance when I'm lucky enough to come across a small group of rabbits I can take 4 or 5 out before the others start to leg it coz they don't hear a thing. It's fitted with an MTC Genesis 5- 20X50 which is a lovely clear scope and is probably wasted on me lol.

Anyway, I'm now hooked on the forums so I won't be sitting in front of the box at night any more :lol:

I owned the Daystate Airwolf MCT, they are a truelly excellent piece of kit and if you put the Huggett shroud and silencer on it they become super quiet, I do like the BSA ultra SE , my buddy bought one new and its a rat muncher, its a loverly little rifle and very accurate also, one thing I liked about the Ultra SE is just how light and short it was, perfect for NV shooting

You're right there Evo, I've got both the shroud and silencer on mine and at 20 yards you can't hear a thing. The Ultra is the perfect 'sling it in the boot just in case' gun. Small, light, and cheap, if it does get damaged it's not the end of the world.

have you got a wooden stock on yours or the tacticle, rogers is the tac and its a cracking little accurate rifle, he swears by BSA and wont own anything else,

they certainly have excellent barrels and also accurate so much so even some of the lads at FT have changed their barrels to BSA ones they are that good, I do like the look of the goldstar , its a stunning rifle and is making a bit of a name for itself accuracy wise,

I,ve always been a big Daystate fan and have owned them all but have started to offload a few as I,m going more down the FT route at the moment and daystate are well behind the rest,its a shame really because I have to admit that for feel and quality wise they are superb rifles but in FT they don't float my boat,

evo its strange looking at your list of rifles and only seeing one daystate :no:

teza

I know mate, it hurts to get rid that's for sure BUT I am scaling down ,

I have got rid of my huntsman , wolverine b, airwolf mct tac , wolverine c, airwolf cdt , but have kept my hunting rifle which I would never sell, my Air ranger .177. its been tuned by xtx air and is superbly accurate as the lads who hunt with me will vouch for, it has a twink silencer on it and is not as quiet as the wolverine b /huggett system but it certainly does the job,

I have since bought the Air Arms EV2 mk4 and put a nikko sterling diamond sportsman 10x50x60 to use in the FT comps the rifle is being tuned by one of the best lads around on EV2,s and once finished will shoot like a dream

I got a cracking deal yesterday and ended up with a new Air Arms s510 ultimate sporter .177 to use in HFT

I have of late been a bit disheartened with daystate because we have asked for the last 3 years for a dedicated target rifle and what do we get, the bloody pulsar and the griffin, what a load of tosh,

I still think daystates are superb rifles and I will always keep my ranger as I,m that impressed with it over any other daystate but times change as have my thoughts

Wooden stock on mine Evo but I've cammo tapped it to stop it getting damaged when I'm climbing around in the farm buildings rat shooting. Your certainly right about the accuracy though although I can only say that for the Ultra .22.

Advised by everyone else to go .177 for hunting I got a lovely bull barreled R10 in .7....... I hate it! Accurate as hell in the range but I really struggle out hunting with it. I'm sure it's probably me and not the gun and I suppose that goes a long way to answering the question 'What's the best gun for hunting'? The one that suits you lol. Suffice to say the R10 will be gone as soon as I find someone who wants one!

Wooden stock on mine Evo but I've cammo tapped it to stop it getting damaged when I'm climbing around in the farm buildings rat shooting. Your certainly right about the accuracy though although I can only say that for the Ultra .22.

Advised by everyone else to go .177 for hunting I got a lovely bull barreled R10 in .7....... I hate it! Accurate as hell in the range but I really struggle out hunting with it. I'm sure it's probably me and not the gun and I suppose that goes a long way to answering the question 'What's the best gun for hunting'? The one that suits you lol. Suffice to say the R10 will be gone as soon as I find someone who wants one!

now that is a strange one with the r10, I owned the mk2 and have to say it was a belter of a rifle, I only got rid to buy the wolverine c,

what pellets are you using in the r10 ? give the jsb heavies 4.52 a try, they are heavier and a great little pellet or try the bis mags through it,

I never trust a zero that is done indoors because experience has showed me that when zero,d indoors the poi totally changes outdoors so I basically use the range to get it close then fine tune outdoors , hope that helps

evo good luck bob with your ft and your new guns

atb teza

cheers mate, I took the s510 ultimate sporter out today and setup targets at 35,,45,,and 55yrds, I zero,d the rifle in at 40yrds and proceeded to check just how accurate it was on the 25mm disks on my knock down targets,

to say I was impressed was an understatement, I had the slightest of winds running from right to left and after 10 mins I was hitting everything it was pointed at, I could not miss the 55yrd target and re setter . I first tried the jsb,s but the rifle performed superb with the AA Diablo,s , I couldn,t fault it, it certainly gave me a boost in confidence that's for sure,

so far the only fault I could find with the sporter was the shot count, 60-70 shots per charge but I think that's just being used to the larger capacity daystates, the weihrauch is the same sort of shot count,

overall I,m very happy with the s510 sporter but cant wait to get the EV2 mk4 back and get to grips with that

atb Evo

Edited by evo

• 1 month later...

well guy I,ve got two things to show you,,

1st,

I got an Air Arms s410 off one of the lads for a bargain and decided to rebuild it because it was looking a little bit rough, I decided to totally strip the rifle down and take my time rebuilding it, so after spending 3 months in my spare time with an hour here and there I totally rebuilt the rifle with all new internals ,new seals, changed the fill probe to a daystate quickfill, and put a right hand brass bolt on and finally finished the rifle on Friday last week, well yesterday I finally got the chance to take the rifle out to one of my perms, I mainly went for a recky as next month is crow bashing month , anyway here is a pic of my newly built s410 in all her glory on my perm,

SAM_0232_zpscsg9ztk7.jpg

2nd,

as you know I have been getting my target rifle ready for the GP series which starts next week and after a seven week wait to have the rifle tuned and a new reg fitted also an air stripper built the rifle finally arrived today so I was straight into getting it set up, after marking the turret up and fitting the scope and then zeroing it in , all I can say is it was worth the wait,, I now have 1 week to get it totally setup to my fit and all the minor adjustments made, I was panacking , thinking it wouldn,t be ready in time, but she finally arrived, well its finished and zero,d in to 40 yrds and all I can say is WOW I,m bloody impressed with this guys work, no wonder two of his rifles have won the worlds,,

anyway here is a few picks of the big beauty all ready to shoot the GP,s

SAM_0240_zps8mlclpqf.jpg

SAM_0241_zpsfmmi6h2d.jpg

cant wait to get out tomorrow and put here through its paces

atb Evo

well guy I,ve got two things to show you,,

1st,

I got an Air Arms s410 off one of the lads for a bargain and decided to rebuild it because it was looking a little bit rough, I decided to totally strip the rifle down and take my time rebuilding it, so after spending 3 months in my spare time with an hour here and there I totally rebuilt the rifle with all new internals ,new seals, changed the fill probe to a daystate quickfill, and put a right hand brass bolt on and finally finished the rifle on Friday last week, well yesterday I finally got the chance to take the rifle out to one of my perms, I mainly went for a recky as next month is crow bashing month , anyway here is a pic of my newly built s410 in all her glory on my perm,

SAM_0232_zpscsg9ztk7.jpg

2nd,

as you know I have been getting my target rifle ready for the GP series which starts next week and after a seven week wait to have the rifle tuned and a new reg fitted also an air stripper built the rifle finally arrived today so I was straight into getting it set up, after marking the turret up and fitting the scope and then zeroing it in , all I can say is it was worth the wait,, I now have 1 week to get it totally setup to my fit and all the minor adjustments made, I was panacking , thinking it wouldn,t be ready in time, but she finally arrived, well its finished and zero,d in to 40 yrds and all I can say is WOW I,m bloody impressed with this guys work, no wonder two of his rifles have won the worlds,,

anyway here is a few picks of the big beauty all ready to shoot the GP,s

SAM_0240_zps8mlclpqf.jpg

SAM_0241_zpsfmmi6h2d.jpg

cant wait to get out tomorrow and put here through its paces

atb Evo

That is one NICE gun!!! Would it be cheeky if I asked what it cost to build??

That is one NICE gun!!! Would it be cheeky if I asked what it cost to build??

I,ve not scrimped mate as I,ve put the best things on it I could get my hands on and all new

the rifle fully tuned and with the new scope and all the accessories stands me just under £2300

atb Evo

For the accuracy and work that goes into a fully tuned competition rifle I think it's a bargain. When you look at a run of the mill Beretta 692 shotgun two tubes trigger and stock. No scopes no hand tuning so in comparison your EV2 is well worth it and looks fantastic.

What's the breakdown of special parts you've had fitted?

EVO looking at your signiture one Daystate and three Air Arms, you be getting one of them bright AA baseball caps next.

Edited by figgy

For the accuracy and work that goes into a fully tuned competition rifle I think it's a bargain. When you look at a run of the mill Beretta 692 shotgun two tubes trigger and stock. No scopes no hand tuning so in comparison your EV2 is well worth it and looks fantastic.

What's the breakdown of special parts you've had fitted?

EVO looking at your signiture one Daystate and three Air Arms, you be getting one of them bright AA baseball caps next.

I doubt it mate, I had seven daystates at one point and didn,t get a hat :lol::lol: :lol:

breakdown of parts

nikko steling diamond 10x50x60 scope

oversized turret

2x150mm sidewheels black/silver preferred silver so black is spare

1x sharkfin (spare)

sidewheel pointer

top turret pointer

sidewheel magnifier

eye tube

hamster extension bar

daystate filler valve

AJP scope riser

rowan zoom lever

sportsmatch 66 adjustable scope mounts

scope flip up caps

that's the stuff I have added to the rifle then the cost of the rifle and the full service ,stripper and new reg has really bumped the price up,when I think about it , it is a hell of a lot of money to spend on a target rifle BUT it is now exactly how I wanted it and most importantly it has been modified to totally improve the rifles performance,,was it worth it ? well to be honest I can only say YES because its everything I want in a rifle for FT shooting,

its down to me and the pellets now because this rifle will go exactly where I point it, I zero,d it in today and at 40 yrds it was grouping superb and at 25yrds a 10 shot group looked like a single pellet hole certainly better than I was expecting so I have got no excuses at all, with the new reg fitted I will get over 100 shots easily and it is very consistent ftps wise,

so now its built how I want it , its down to me to get results now

Evo Daystate should have given you a full outfit.

What regulator did you opt for and why? Only curious as I thought the EV2 was regulated and to a good standard, unless I'm thinking it's what people say about them after having them regulated.

Evo Daystate should have given you a full outfit.

What regulator did you opt for and why? Only curious as I thought the EV2 was regulated and to a good standard, unless I'm thinking it's what people say about them after having them regulated.

the regs on the mk I and II were problematic then the mk3 was ok and the mk IV was better again, the guy has designed a new reg which helps the ftps stay more consistent right through the fill

• 1 month later...

well as some of you may know I,ve been busy with work commitments and not really had any spare time except for Monday which was spent stripping and building a huntsman,

I,ve been on the lookout for a Ginb stock for my ultimate sporter so I could use it as my spare FT rifle and also to use it for HFT comps, I,ve been looking for over 2 months for the right one because its very very rare a decent one comes up for sale,

well I finally got my hands on one, it was a bit more than what I wanted to pay but it was in mint condition, I have been so impressed with the Air arms ultimate sporter .177 that I wanted to put this into the Ginb stock as these are more sturdy for the FT circuit , well it arrived today and how happy was I, The action fitted in superb and was a perfect fit, this will enable me to use the rifle for HFT also which is a blessing and its now lighter and feels superb to shoulder being lighter than the standard ultimate sporter stock, here is a pic of the s510 ultimate sporter in the new Ginb stock

068_zpsbgssfeib.jpg

the grain on the stock really is stunning, anyway as you know I have just re built a air arms s410 and totally replaced all the internals/seals the lot, if it moved it was replaced, the rifle is .22 and hits hard,very hard, its running max 11.7ftlb in the sweet spot and is very accurate to say the least, so guess what,, I,ve put the beech stock in the gunroom and sat the s410 into the ultimate sporter stock, best of both worlds really, it is my ratting rifle , here is a pic of the s410 before

SAM_0232_zpscsg9ztk7.jpg

and now its in the sporter stock

067_zpsy8emofva.jpg

it just seemed a shame to have the ultimate sporter stock sitting in a box so the s410 has had a make over, and to make matters worse I have just acquired a Daystate Air ranger in .22 . I already have one in .177 and its my go to gun for hunting but this was was too hard to resist at the right price,

anyway looking forward to giving the s510 in the Ginb stock a good trial on Saturday to see how I get on

atb Evo

Now that is a nice stock! Beautiful flowing grain. You've don't the right Thing bedding the 410 into the sporter stock, those beech stocks are bloody boring to look at I must say. So going by what you say I could buy a s510 and it should fit into the stock I'm making for my s400 that's 12 years old?

Love the stock your S510 is in,one of the best looking most practical thumb hole stocks I've seen. Full pistol grip without that daft little strip at the bottom of the grip because so much stock was removed at top on most I see. Yours has plenty of wood left for strength above the pistol grip.