Wood (Stock) oils

B25Modelman

Which of the TS range are you using if applying to a stock that has come from Browning...oiled or any other gun that has been pre-oiled from the factory.

I have used Birchwood Casey on my B25's to good effect and have a bottle of English Walnut Oil Preparation from The Old Vicarage. Both bottles are over 20 years old but still seem ok and I am testing them on a piece of mahogany. Not to mention a bottle of T T Proctor Walnut oil I have just found in my shed with label detached yet still in the box. It to looks and smells good so I trialing that one as well.

Thanks Gunman for that warning. The Maxus parts are made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal so perhaps its another oil...hopefully from Belgium.

Edited by B25Modelman

I used a made up recipe of London stock finish in the past from Sage100 and had fantastic results. But I'm oiling a friends stock for him with the trade secrets kit and I'm surprised at how good it's turning out. The TS 95 oil hardens the rapid oil and adds shine. So I will be using it again to top up other stocks.

I still make that up and use it best oil I've found.

With Dennisis help and advice the finish I have achieved with it is fantastic, stock looks like it's coated in glass it light up the wood and shows the wood grain and figuring off a treat but a nice shine like a well polished car. Nothing like the spray finished stocks. But then I did put well over thirty coats of oil on it, I stopped counting them after a month.

The trade secrets kit is quicker and better than I though it was going to be, good results for bettering an existing stock finish.

With Dennisis help and advice the finish I have achieved with it is fantastic, stock looks like it's coated in glass it light up the wood and shows the wood grain and figuring off a treat but a nice shine like a well polished car. Nothing like the spray finished stocks. But then I did put well over thirty coats of oil on it, I stopped counting them after a month

It's what I use on customers stocks still not found a better oil.