Flapper

On my last (and only outing) we used an electronic flapper (with dead bird) and it didn't seem to work much, pigeons were drawn in by the decoy pattern, but either flew over low or stopped in nearby trees - the flapper doesn't have a timer so is constant at the moment, and someone else nearby always uses them - could they now be wary of them?

Sam

Think about it. If the flapper is going all the time pigeons will think a bird is about to take off and will swerve away. Get yourself a timer. Random is OK, but I set mine to 8 flaps, then a 20 second interval. Works for me. I rarely use my whirly these days.

I have a timer on mine and since buying the flapper the whirly stays in the garage gathering dust.

Just my oppinion but it works for me, light to carry, movement in the pattern and runs forever on a small battery :yes:

cheers Sutty :lol:

Whats the best make of flapper and how heavy are they :good:

I got a flapper from ukshootwarehouse two weeks ago and would say its the best piece of kit ive ever bought. me and a mate used it on crows and the first day out we bagged 20 jackdaws 1 grey crow and a silly pigeon which came in with its mate and landed in the middle of our crow dekes. we were only shooting for just over two hours. a great investment cant wait till this years rooks and jackdaws fledge. :good:

• 2 weeks later...

Scroll down there page Markio and click on decoying equiptment, £58 mate.

I wont go out without one!!!!!!!!!!!! :oops:

CheersSutty :yes:

:oops: Excellent, thanks Sutty. I've been swearing at that site. A decent layout and sales might soar!

i quite agree with what beens said about the electronic flappers-a great piece of kit-birds now getting/got wise to magnets. i use mine in conjunction with the old wagbi / semark pull manual flapper -also a great piece of kit. B)

If the ukshootwarehouse site is doing yer swede in then use http://www.pigeon-############## our other, and much easier to use, site!!

and I thought the forum rules forbade any advertising of sites other than the sponsors B) :oops::oops:

I only use one flapper connected up with a timer. I use it for crows and its brilliant. The first time I used it, I shot 58 crows in just over an hour. The following week I set up again, using some of the previous dead birds as decoys, and shot 128 in under 2 hours. Used with decoys and a Primos Power Crow call, its awesome.

[quote name='Markio' post='304087' date='Apr 19 2007, 12:07 PM'

i quite agree with what beens said about the electronic flappers-a great piece of kit-birds now getting/got wise to magnets. i use mine in conjunction with the old wagbi / semark pull manual flapper -also a great piece of kit. :good:

Sorry,can't agree that pigeons get used to magnets. I've just shot four different hundred+ bags in a month on the same rape field using magnets. They didn't get used to them. That's like saying pigeons will get wise to plastic decoys.A mate of mine once said that birds had stopped decoying so well because they had got used to seeing his truck.Yeah,right.

[quote name='Markio' post='304087' date='Apr 19 2007, 12:07 PM'

i quite agree with what beens said about the electronic flappers-a great piece of kit-birds now getting/got wise to magnets. i use mine in conjunction with the old wagbi / semark pull manual flapper -also a great piece of kit. :good:

Sorry,can't agree that pigeons get used to magnets. I've just shot four different hundred+ bags in a month on the same rape field using magnets. They didn't get used to them. That's like saying pigeons will get wise to plastic decoys.A mate of mine once said that birds had stopped decoying so well because they had got used to seeing his truck.Yeah,right.

If I spank an area too hard using Magnet(s) they WILL get used to it. If I spank the same area really really hard.....they WILL get used to the vehicle!!

i have one of these and they are briliant somedays much better than the magnet, i bought the remote one, worst idea ever, get a timer so much easier, also try mounting them on a floater on laid barley or wheat and the results can be awesome if you set the flap stop time properly