night rabbiting using s10

adi786

Hi
How do you guys do rabitting using night vision on scope with screen, i went out for first time and after a bit i felt damn tired walking around farm while watching screen my arms were ....................... after a while.. probably s10's are bloody heavy?

I've just ordered fx bobcat mk2 any review/recommendation about the gun?

Edited by adi786

the secret about shooting rabbits and of a night is this,,,,

walk around the edges of your perm during daylight hours looking for runs and rabbit droppings , fresh droppings are the biggest giveaway , these you can squeeze between your fingers with ease/or chew ( only joking )

once you have found plenty of fresh rabbit poo then set up about 30yrds away, preferably down wind but not a necessity , and wait for it to go dark, switch your nv on and have a scan, if the rabbits are there then shoot them if not then switch your nv off give it 5 mins and try again, some rabbits spook very easily so leaving the nv on will only make them nervous,

if your ratting then put some bait out and set up 20yrds away and again have a walk around of a day to look for any tell tale signs of rats, you will see runs and the rats will always use the same ones and usually tight to fences and walls, put some liquidised nuttella and vegetable oil along these runs to make them stop and lap it up, it works a treat

In addition to Evo's advice, to help with the weight problem get yourself a two piece telescopic bank stick from a fishing tackle shop. The ones with a soft rubber "U" to hold the rod and, preferably, a screw thread at the bottom to get it into the ground.

When you've set up, either sitting or standing, tick the stick into the ground and use it as a gun rest.

They can also be used as a thumb stick when walking and to aid balance when negotiating steep banks and ditches.

Edited by Bobba

the secret about shooting rabbits and of a night is this,,,,

walk around the edges of your perm during daylight hours looking for runs and rabbit droppings , fresh droppings are the biggest giveaway , these you can squeeze between your fingers with ease/or chew ( only joking )

once you have found plenty of fresh rabbit poo then set up about 30yrds away, preferably down wind but not a necessity , and wait for it to go dark, switch your nv on and have a scan, if the rabbits are there then shoot them if not then switch your nv off give it 5 mins and try again, some rabbits spook very easily so leaving the nv on will only make them nervous,

if your ratting then put some bait out and set up 20yrds away and again have a walk around of a day to look for any tell tale signs of rats, you will see runs and the rats will always use the same ones and usually tight to fences and walls, put some liquidised nuttella and vegetable oil along these runs to make them stop and lap it up, it works a treat

Was thinking to do so but the perm i've been going to try this out is around 400 acres and so far i have seen them in one's or two's few times i managed to walk well towards them sat down slowly but my arms were so ........ that i couldn't aim properly lol it scope was moving right/left :(. I will try to go before dark and as per ur suggestion will walk around and will see if i can find a decent spot where few coming out/runing back. Also think stick would be handy so i dont have to sit down to take a shot.. Need to practise a bit on range as well, as from screen it's been hard for me to guess how far the rabbit is, as i was spotting them putting rifle down walking 10-15 steps scanning again..

Good advice , above , stalking after rabbits is never usually easy , unless they have been used to humans 'being about' and causing them no harm.

Remember ,You are stalking and animal with , poorish vision, Big directional Ears, and an acute sense of smell, and vibration detection.

You have to negate those senses as best you can.

Good Luck.

I'm afraid I disagree, stalking rabbits with NV is not very hard if you do it the right way and in the right conditions. Ambushing if fine, and certainly easier to range, but it will limit your bag size.

If stalking I find a good stiff breeze and a dark night is all you need. Stay up wind and walk slowly - basically move in the same way you would if stalking during the day, slowly get into range using as little movement and NV as possible. If you have a screen put loads of anti glare filters on to cut the light output and use shooting sticks and you'll have a great evening. All you'll need to worry about is range finding, so perhaps put some marks on the screen to indicate 2" at 30 yards so you'll have an idea of range from rabbit head size.

Good luck.

Hi

How do you guys do rabitting using night vision on scope with screen, i went out for first time and after a bit i felt damn tired walking around farm while watching screen my arms were ....................... after a while.. probably s10's are bloody heavy?

hello, what model is a S10?

I'm afraid I disagree, stalking rabbits with NV is not very hard if you do it the right way and in the right conditions. Ambushing if fine, and certainly easier to range, but it will limit your bag size.

If stalking I find a good stiff breeze and a dark night is all you need. Stay up wind and walk slowly - basically move in the same way you would if stalking during the day, slowly get into range using as little movement and NV as possible. If you have a screen put loads of anti glare filters on to cut the light output and use shooting sticks and you'll have a great evening. All you'll need to worry about is range finding, so perhaps put some marks on the screen to indicate 2" at 30 yards so you'll have an idea of range from rabbit head size.

Good luck.

Ah thanks good idea, will get stick and will also do the range thing will shoot a rabbit and will put it at night at different distances to get an idea of rabbit head. I did find couple and thought they 30-40 yards, took a shot and it didnt hit them at all, secondly was really hard as i was sitting down to take a shot, if had stick would have been so easier to take a shot, will order some anti glare never used not sure if that will effect visibilty@scren during day ? if using..

hello, what model is a S10?

its MK2 s10..feel bloody heavy..

come on mole ,,, that gun was a load of garbage when first bought, then you had it Mr Bowkett tuned and it then performed better, personally I think the goldstar is the best rifle bsa have made, oh and it doesn,t need john bowkett to tune it first to make it work as proved on the FT circuit

come on mole ,,, that gun was a load of garbage when first bought, then you had it Mr Bowkett tuned and it then performed better, personally I think the goldstar is the best rifle bsa have made, oh and it doesn,t need john bowkett to tune it first to make it work as proved on the FT circuit

No it was not a load of garbage, it, like many HW spring powereds, could have been better made. It went to JB to get made the way he envisaged, not the way the beancounters at BSA told them to make it to save pence per build! The standard stock photo is pre Bowkett tuning!

Hi

I use a real heavy pcp for nv shooting rabbits a fac daystate airranger .22,

i use the nitesite wolf nv and rest the gun on tripod trigger shooting sticks which make the head up shooting position

not a problem, nor the weight of the gun ,i carry the gun on my shoulder via a sling.

atb brian

......... If you have a screen put loads of anti glare filters on to cut the light output .....

Education time, please. What are these and where do you get them? I ask because I have just purchased a NV kit and having set up in garden (yet to be used in vengeance) the screen glare is quite noticeable. Thanks.

Education time, please. What are these and where do you get them? I ask because I have just purchased a NV kit and having set up in garden (yet to be used in vengeance) the screen glare is quite noticeable. Thanks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xanti+glare+filters.TRS0&_nkw=anti+glare+filters&_sacat=0

Edited by adi786

:), just bought a nissan xtrail, so hopefully can drive around the fields, hopefully some of them would let me get close to them or not sure if they be bloody scared off car would be driving with lights switched off.. thinking to use led lenser with red filter to see if am on correct path.... .?