Log splitter

muffin

If you are running an Oxdale on a 35 you are going to need to have the return pipe going back into the filler hole by the gear levers. Not impossible but not very handy.

You would also need some way of stopping the arms from lifting in order to get constant flow (unless there is a diverter valve fitted under the seat.

I think the Oxdale splitter is a fantastic bit of kit but for a 35 I really think you would have to go for the pto version. Even if you do cure the above mentioned issues the flow is so low the ram speed will be ridiculously slow.

As for the Hycrack, they just make me shudder.

Whats wrong with Hy crack

Nothing faster. If you can lift it onto the platform, it will split it. For stuff that just needs splitting in half, you just push it onto the worm and turn to pick up the next one. By the time you turn round, it's ready for the one in your hand. When all the Elm trees died, I was splitting 3-foot+ diameter rings of seasoned elm no problem. The split logs aren't always pretty though. The Tungsten tips are replaceable. Don't try splitting from the end, just sideways, as shown in the video. The length of log depend on the type of wood, anything tough and stringy like elm (if there's any left), about 8 inches max.

Edited by rjimmer

I love my Hycrack. I run it on a Unimog 406. 1000rpm pto running at tick over, it'll split anything and fast too.

I can see why some folk don't like them. You need a good working understanding of the tool or it could really hurt you, but that's the same with anything. As long as you don't put your hand on the right side of the log as you push it in you're fine. Sometimes on the smaller wood it will bite in and flip the log on it's side. I hate to think what it would do to your hand if it got trappd between the log and the splitter table?! Simple answer is don't put it there. Just like you wouldn't look down the barrel of a loaded gun, it soon sticks in your mind as something that you just don't do.

I've split tons with mine. No worries about hydraulic valves, pipes etc. Just put it on the linkage, connect the shaft up and you're away.

Have you ever used one?

I have to admit I haven't.

My opinion is based purely on a lifetime of being told not to mess anywhere near the pto of the tractor and countless posts like the one two above.

From what I understand if you use one at some time you are going to encounter a jammed log that will spin around. What do you do if your clothing or fingers get stuck in it when this happens? Genuine question as I assume you can not stop it unless you can turn off the tractor somehow.

Using my Oxdale it is possible to put my fingers under the blade and cut them off. I would have let go of the handle before that happened though.

I also have a horizontal splitter with auto return, I do think that has potential to injure. If you lean over it when it is returning I'm not sure you would stop it before it hurt you quite badly.

There is a guard to stop you leaning over the log and a cord connected to the stop pull on the tractor. It's up to the operator to use them. If the log has touched the point of the HyCrack, there is no need to have your hands anywhere near it. You should/could be picking up the next log while it splits the one on the platform. If you can lift it, the Hycrack will split it. I split plenty of 3-foot+ diameter elm rings in the 70's with mine, on a MF35.