is my choke strange

d foxxer

hi I shoot a miroku 800 sw 28in barrel fix choke which I took to my local gunsmith last week and asked him to tell me the exact chokeage he got out a little stick thingy with an adjustable metal cone like thing on it after much twaddling he said its a lovely gun in good nick and the choke is between 3/4 and full in the top barrel and between 1/4 and half in bottom but overall he would class it as full and half I sort of came away thinking if this was a bit strange I love the gun as whatever I aim at is always a clean hit or a clean miss mostly misses lol but that's down to me so I just thot I would ask on here if the chokes are uncommon thanks foxxer

being Miroku I would guess it is 1/4 & 3/4...very typical.for browning/miroku fixed choke guns....also remember that whatever the choke gauge says,and it measures the constriction the actual pattern thrown may well be different....you have more in the top barrel than bottom is all can really conclude!.

being Miroku I would guess it is 1/4 & 3/4...very typical.for browning/miroku fixed choke guns....also remember that whatever the choke gauge says,and

it measures the constriction the actual pattern thrown may well be different....you have more in the top barrel than bottom is all can really conclude!.

thanks dougall the gist I got from what he told me was that it was nearer 1/2 than 1/4 and nearer full than 3/4 which seemed to me nither here or there but he said if I was to class it as half and full I would be very near the mark I think I will try some longer range pattern tests to see what happens cheers foxxer

I know it means little but what are the choke stamps.

ah I have just found them top barrel says .719 and about an inch in front of it is a letter F and bottom barrel says .729 and an inch in front of that is a letter M also by the ejectors there is a +top barrel and a + - bottom barrel

Edited by d foxxer

Quite normal, the measurement of choke refers to the pattern it throws with a set cartridge.

I've had a gun clearly marked skeet and Skeet it throws very nice 1/4 and tight 1/4 patterns with clear pigeon it was decoying gun of choice for years. The old Eley bulldog 9s throw very open patterns help me with skeet shooting as well 😁

Only way to accurately measure chokes is to gauge the bore size behind the choke and compare it to the choke diameter itself .

Different makers /countries will have some variance on the accepte d[for 12 bore] .010/.020/.030/.040 . Belgian and Italy tend to work in increments of .2mm or .008" so a full choke would be the equivalent of .036" .

Spanish chokes are between sizes as in say between .02mm and .04mm there is also the fact that in manufacture there may be some allowance or tolerances .

Personally I doubt a couple of thou either side will make any difference at all to a standard bored gun .

If you want to have a gun bored to throw a specified pattern at a set distance with a specific cartridge it will take time and cost and will not necessarily shoot the same if a different load is used .

thanks for the replys so far so if the smithy was right then this chokage would be ok for birds a little further out than the normal 40 yds using a 32g decent 5 or 6 shell ie rc sipe or extreme type or maybe some of the high bird types providing they pattern well and I manage to put the shot in the right place am I right in thinking this .................and the reason I ask is that I have 2 little flightlines that can provide some decent higher or beyond normal range stuff in breezy sometimes adverse conditions which I like more than any else which is why I don't want to practice with shells that wont quite do it due to not enough gump or pattern failiure I know its goin to cost more but I would rather use a box of the right carts for the chokage and knock one screamer down than ten 25 yd decoyed not interested in numbers just a couple for the ferrets and a couple to eat and before anyone jumps on me one flightline is on the steep wooded slope of a valley in a clearing with a decent size shooting window the other is a clump of fir trees like an island in the middle of open pasture that seems a bit of a magnet so I cant get them any closer cheers foxxer

Don't forget the restriction is either a % decrease in the bore or a fixed measurement, but bore sizes especially in 12 gauge vary quite a lot which makes the simple plug in gauges rather poor at stating what choke it actually is,and just get based upon a standard bore

You would need a internal micrometer to accurately determine the actual choke restriction