Muzzle loading displays at Country Fairs

Feltwad

Not many of us left!

The addictive noxious nitro has them in its evil grip!

I agree UD some do not like the compertion

Feltwad

Display Antique Weapons

P1010007_zpsjo2ozwy8.jpg

Shooting the big 4 bore at a static target

4%20bore_zpsfgahldle.jpg

a small display of antique cartridges

100_1118_zpscledij4e.jpg

Edited by Feltwad

The reason that they are becoming less and less, is that there is simply not enough room between the organic dog shampoo stall and dodgy tents selling piles of stolen tools and last years poundland inventory.

Lol.

I agree UD some do not like the compertion

Feltwad

Display Antique guns.

P1010007_zpsjo2ozwy8.jpg

Shooting the big 4 bore at a static target

4%20bore_zpsfgahldle.jpg

a small display of antique cartridges

100_1118_zpscledij4e.jpg

Fixed that for you FW.

U😉

I should really come and give you a hand ( James from yorkshire here - hope you are well ) I imagine assembling a display like that is a mammoth task!

I think a lot of people have preconceptions about shooting black powder, i like to use my guns in a functional way by which i mean i don't go out of my way to shoot black powder just incorporate it in to part of my normal shooting, this year i have shot nearly all of my driven game with black powder, a lot of the people i have shot with just don't know a lot about it - the usual preconceptions come up - " how do you hit them i thought it was a lot slower ", "i don't have hours to clean my guns" "how much are the cartridges".

Like anything in shooting you do it because you love it not because its a good use of your finances!

When i first started shooting black powder on my game shoots people gave me funny looks "why are you wasting your time with that old stuff, get yourself some black gold"

Well you know I'm out in the field to enjoy myself, and part of that is shooting blackpowder and keeping this way of shooting alive, generally it creates a lot of interest and adds something different to the day.

As a muzzle loader of many years standing, my impression is that the average age of the membership is increasing year on year and not enough is being done to attract new blood into the sport. Inevetably thats a time bomb and the effects are already being felt. The older membership have less inclination to do things like that

The other thing is that exhibition stands at shows like that were regarded as 'loss leaders' by the organisers so the space would be given free because it was seen as an advantage to the show. Since the club isn't selling anything why would they want to put in all that work AND pay a fortune for the privilage?

These days show organisers have a more short sighted view and want money for every square foot. Words like baby and bathwater come to mind

Edited by Vince Green

As a muzzle loader of many years standing, my impression is that the average age of the membership is increasing year on year and not enough is being done to attract new blood into the sport. Inevetably thats a time bomb and the effects are already being felt. The older membership have less inclination to do things like that

The other thing is that exhibition stands at shows like that were regarded as 'loss leaders' by the organisers so the space would be given free because it was seen as an advantage to the show. Since the club isn't selling anything why would they want to put in all that work AND pay a fortune for the privilage?

These days show organisers have a more short sighted view and want money for every square foot. Words like baby and bathwater come to mind

Some of the older membership have less inclination do run a stand is partly true but it is also the younger members who do not like too carry on the work . Muzzle loading at Game Fairs is an atraction and should not have to pay for the privilage, I agree organisers will let the space to others.I have over the last few years found that some shooting organisations complain to the organisers about the muzzle loaders mostly for taking their trade from the have a go stand and some about the noise so this maybe the main coarse I have been doing Game Fairs and also Agricultral Shows for the past 45 years and have not paid for a stand .

Feltwad

Edited by Feltwad

Nothing beats waiting for roosting pigeons in the summer with a smoke pole. The slow (by comparison) loading cycle simply reminds you that nothing much in life needs to be hurried and watching a puff of black slowly drifting away on the breeze whilst listening, full of hope, for the accompanying thump of a fallen bird is one of life's greatest treasures. The people who use such guns also tend to be of a kind that know about guns and their history and are usually full of interesting tales and tips that you absorb like a sponge-they tend to be friendly and more than happy to spend time with you while you struggle to decide if it would be rude or not to giggle next time they mention their nipples. Everybody should shoot BP at least once in their life :good:

Nothing beats waiting for roosting pigeons in the summer with a smoke pole. The slow (by comparison) loading cycle simply reminds you that nothing much in life needs to be hurried and watching a puff of black slowly drifting away on the breeze whilst listening, full of hope, for the accompanying thump of a fallen bird is one of life's greatest treasures. The people who use such guns also tend to be of a kind that know about guns and their history and are usually full of interesting tales and tips that you absorb like a sponge-they tend to be friendly and more than happy to spend time with you while you struggle to decide if it would be rude or not to giggle next time they mention their nipples. Everybody should shoot BP at least once in their life :good:

Expertly put 😀

Shot a lovely 4 bore at Bowood a few years ago and couldn't get enough, ended up spending a tidy sum shooting it that day :)

Shot the same gun a year later at the CLA at Blenheim palace. Nice bloke too.

I have seen at these fairs when to the punter it becomes a bug and ends up spending a small fortune . A resonable price for shooting a 4 bore at these fairs is £3 per shot or £5 for two shots

Feltwad

100_1074_zpshg1olxoc.jpg

Edited by Feltwad