AYA Matador Opinions

Wingman

Hi All

Popped down to my local RFD today and as always had a look around at the guns they had. I spotted a mint 12G AYA Matador that was brought in as a part ex, it really is absolutely perfect condition wise, apparently seeing very little use the case hardening looked brand new! I am tempted as an addition to my SxS collection but dont know much about them. It seemed a bit heavy for a game gun but was really solidly made and very tight for its age clearly seen hardly any use. Its up near the 300.00 mark but there's some negotiation room in that...

Can any PW members enlighten me with their opinions on these guns good or bad?

If double-trigger, should be as good as any other AYA, and I've never had any problem with my No3 magnum. I think many of the Matadors are single-trigger, in which case best ask a professional gunsmith. I spoke last year to a dealer who had two of the single-trigger models for sale, but said both were away getting a double-discharge problem sorted.

No this is a double trigger, case hardened action 28 inch tubes, choked 3/4 and full. Its got a prince of wales stock and a broad semi beavertail fore end. Quite a heavy beast, seems it was maybe a wildfowling gun?

Not convinced its worth the price tag although it is in great nick..

I've owned a single trigger 2 3/4" gun for over 35 years. Purchased it new. Lovely gun. They were originally intended for fowling and the like with, for those days, big loads of lead. Alpha max and the like.

Mine let me down once and that was an ejector spring job. My wife once had a go with it and both barrels discharged - she says - I could never make it do so again and I have never had it in a gun shop except for the ejector spring issue and routine servicing.

My 50+ son now uses it on the rare occasions that he shoots and it lives with me so I have a spare game gun.

I would certainly buy the one you are offered.

Good pieces of kit.

Edited by Grandalf