.22-250

Had my first go at reloading using a lee classic loader. Did the following

ppu brass ( once fired in this my sako 75 varmint)

amax 52 grain

hodgdon h414

cci 200 large primer

loaded to overall length of 2.35 inches

have hand loaded with 33.3grain ( amount in dipper and recommended start with loading kit, 37, 37.5, 38 grains and will see how these go. Hodgdon stating 37-40 grain oh h414 fo 52 grain amax. so people think that an ok combination? Regards

33 seems low for 414!

414 being spherical should be a mag primer and near to a case full as possibly.....in my experience!

Look out for lots of unburnt granules, if present your dicing with a flame out situation!

Nothing wrong with spherical but it needs a good kick up the pants to kick in and the less space in the case the better.

U.

Just a tip, the lee powder dippers notoriously under throw compared to what they say they are going to throw usually. Weighing the charge is the only way to really know. Scales and a trickler would be a must, espescially with a hot calibre like the 250

Go and shoot some, thats the only way to find out

Edited by Vince Green

Thanks, doing a bit more reading and h414 in loads over about 50grain a magnum primer recommended, or if extreme cold. Might switch to them anyway as can see the point of it being a slow burner that needs a bit of a start.

I have a small set of scales, the dipper was giving me between 32-33.5grain so measured 33.3, but after reading Hodgdon website it said minimum was 37 so done a few there too. Will shoot them today and see. Thanks

My advice would be to endorse the comments above, but I would suggest you pull the heads on the cases that you have loaded around the 33 gr mark as you must bear in mind that to under load a case is much more dangerous than over filling. I would suggest starting at least at 36 gr and going up in 1/2 gr increments.

Your COL is at SAAMI which is sensible - there is no need to seat a bullet in a factory 22.250 close up to the lands. My Blaser rounds are 222 thou back (COL 2.373")

http://www.reloadersnest.com/unverified_detail.asp?CaliberID=21&ID=9990

I reload for 6 other people's 22.250 all are seated around the 2.360" COL mark (ogive 1.955") (>120 thou back) - A Tikka I completed last year

http://www.reloadersnest.com/unverified_detail.asp?CaliberID=21&ID=10513

Finally I would say that I have never found it necessary to use magnum primers in any 22.250's

Peter

My advice would be to endorse the comments above, but I would suggest you pull the heads on the cases that you have loaded around the 33 gr mark as you must bear in mind that to under load a case is much more dangerous than over filling. I would suggest starting at least at 36 gr and going up in 1/2 gr increments.

Your COL is at SAAMI which is sensible - there is no need to seat a bullet in a factory 22.250 close up to the lands. My Blaser rounds are 222 thou back (COL 2.373")

http://www.reloadersnest.com/unverified_detail.asp?CaliberID=21&ID=9990

I reload for 6 other people's 22.250 all are seated around the 2.360" COL mark (ogive 1.955") (>120 thou back) - A Tikka I completed last year

http://www.reloadersnest.com/unverified_detail.asp?CaliberID=21&ID=10513

Finally I would say that I have never found it necessary to use magnum primers in any 22.250's

Peter

Magnum primer use is not decided by cartridge. It is decided by powder type/requirements. Matey :-)

Well had a go at shooting these- had not read comments to pull the 33grains. They were quite sooty and a bit smokey- shot 5 of them. Groups about an inch- same as ppu in my rifle. Best I got was with 38 grain.

The following group was shot with them. Ten shot .77inch at 100m.

Hodgdon reloading site reccomends large rifle primers for this combination.

post-53161-0-04992700-1455373823_thumb.jpeg

Edited by rwade545

Richard Lee recommends a starting charge of 37.0gr and not to exceed 40.0gr of H414 behind a 52gr bullet.

Does Richard also recommend magnum primers for H414 in 22.250 ......................matey?

I am well aware of the need with certain powders for mag primers but when I used H414 about 15 years ago in a 22.250 it was not required - in my experience.

Rwade 545 that group is very good even allowing for the one that left the group - I would be inclined to keep that weight of powder - well done.

Magnum primer use is not decided by cartridge. It is decided by powder type/requirements. Matey :-)

I am well aware of that but even the latest edition of Hodgson does not recommend mag primers but CCI LR.

I used H414 some 15 years ago with a 22.250 and never found the need to use mag primers............matey.

rwade545 - that is a nice group even allowing for the one shot that left the group. I would leave your powder weight at that - but if you really wanted to push the boat out just try seating the bullet 10 or 20 thou deeper to see if there is any improvement.

Peter

I am well aware of that but even the latest edition of Hodgson does not recommend mag primers but CCI LR.

I used H414 some 15 years ago with a 22.250 and never found the need to use mag primers............matey.

rwade545 - that is a nice group even allowing for the one shot that left the group. I would leave your powder weight at that - but if you really wanted to push the boat out just try seating the bullet 10 or 20 thou deeper to see if there is any improvement.

Peter

Peter babes matey.

I just checked my only manual and yep it says use a mag primer with 414 in 22-250 but hey, I have loaded thousands of rounds with spherical and non mag primers.

My primary concern was the op using such a low dose of 414@33grn. Going that low with that powder in that case I would recommend the hottest primer he could find which I did.

It's a mute point now and with a good case full a standard primer will be fine. If he has a choice of primer though and wants to stick to 414 I still recommend a mag primer. Matey darling.

Edited by Underdog

Peter babes matey.

I just checked my only manual and yep it says use a mag primer with 414 in 22-250 but hey, I have loaded thousands of rounds with spherical and non mag primers.

My primary concern was the op using such a low dose of 414@33grn. Going that low with that powder in that case I would recommend the hottest primer he could find which I did.

It's a mute point now and with a good case full a standard primer will be fine. If he has a choice of primer though and wants to stick to 414 I still recommend a mag primer. Matey darling.

Did you mean 'old' as opposed to 'only'?

Anyone with an old manual should double check on line as in:-

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle no mention of mag primers.

On a client's 6.5 x47 lap using RL15 I did use CCI 450's as it did make a noticeable difference in accuracy and fps - I don't suppose your manual list this calibre - my old 26th Edition does not.

I'm surprised with all the 000's rounds you have loaded it was not you that suggested to rwade545 it would be unwise to fire them but to pull them.

TBH I have never really noticed any difference between magnum and ordinary primers when it comes to actual shooting. No doubt that will bring down howls of ridicule. There cannot be an amazing jump in the performance.

Vince, I very much agree with your comments. Of the 36 rifles I am involved in, apart from a 308 Net Gun, the 6.5x47L mentioned above is the only rifle that I used magnum primers in - but the mag primers are 'generally' accepted as a primer to use in this rifle.

post-20875-0-58833700-1455524796_thumb.jpg