Left eye dominant

davids3511

After reading all of this, and seeing that the lad would be happy enough to shoot in a B or C class competition, why are you worrying this much about eye dominance? He seems to be getting reasonable scores for a beginner.

He had a real dip in what he could hit. I could tell he was struggling with something which is when his eye dominance was discovered. He was on the point of giving up a few weeks ago he was that frustrated.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He had a real dip in what he could hit. I could tell he was struggling with something which is when his eye dominance was discovered. He was on the point of giving up a few weeks ago he was that frustrated.

Fair enough, but he has only just started shooting. It takes time to become a good shot.

Im left eye dominant and right handed. Within four clays changing to the left shoulder felt much much better, even with a right hand cast gun.

The problem is the scarcity of left handed guns though. The last three shops i went to looked at me like i had been beamed down from a flying portaloo when i asked if they had anything left handed.

He's tried it, had a round with the instructor trying to shoot left. The instructor said it wasn't going to work.

On its own tackling eye dominance on its own requires a lot of practising and many small tweaks to technique. Ie if slightly shutting or closing an eye to counter act dominance takes a while. Its hard enough learning a new sport but try and instill patience. I am 36 and have struggled for a while and was at my wits end with my poor nae awful shooting that it was making me frustrated and close to taking some time out!! Theres great advice on here!! Good luck ps theres some good threads already so you may be able to have a trawl and take somthing positive from them.

What a fascinating read! I am the wrong side of 60, shooting for best part of 35 years, having great fun shooting predominantly pump guns at steel plates, clays and pigeons and have learned so much from this thread. Right handed and left master eyed I am now hitting so much more with combination of hi-vis fibre optic, half inch of electrical tape and occasionally left thumb vertical (even on pump) Great confidence booster, more great work from the PW massive!