a strange thing happened today

mikky

had many a conversation about this and the word conservation comes to mind, personally i think it would be a little daft to go out and shoot as much as you possibly can, on a vermin list or not. the question is if you do shoot everything in sight what are you going to shoot next time or next year.

i know lads who have had to give up shooting in certain areas as there are no rabbits left to shoot you could say well thats a good job done, but the fact is that they now have not got that shooting. it may be nice to have a walk out with the gun but its always nice to pop the odd bit vermin. and i would certainly not like to skin and clean 30-40 rabbits in one session.

john

on one of my permissions about 700 acres, last year I shot over 500 pigeons throughout the year...which is a lot of birds for me!........in addition we accounted for I would say easily 400 + Rabbits to the dogs ferret and longnets....

we visit this permission once maybe twice a week.....and its hard going and constant work..............................and we haven't even made a dent in the rabbits or bluies....no sooner have we cleared one hedge row, then the farmer calls.....can you look at the wheat..the rabbits are smashing it!!!!

In somecases you cannot completey wipe out the vermin if you tried!!

I know what you mean, ive felt many a time that shooting wildlife is wrong, but after taking the shot and seeing several more rabbits in the area makes me realise the task in hand, still, dont like to shoot squirrels though, so cute! ???:lol:

Its human nature to have empathy for the things we shoot......I supose if we were just ot and out killers..there'd be Michale Ryans walking about all over the place......

Steve...................squirrels are not cute at all you bender :P:P:P

seriously, they are very distructive, not only do they drive out our native reds, but will readily feed on small birds eggs and there young given half a chance...........have you ever seen what they can do to a dogs face when caught in open ground...............................not pretty......they are a rat with a furry tail..thats all.......see them...............slot them......... ???

i said their cute, dont mean i wouldnt shoot them ???

Regularly leave stuff if it doesn't need to be shot. No point killing for the sake of it.

Would like to point out though that squirels, rats and foxes always need to be shot. :good:

FM :lol:

with you on that one Alex

The names Ollie. :lol: Ferretboy is Alex. :lol:

FM :lol: AKA Ollie

:good::lol:

Simple mistake to make

I sometimes hold a shot if I think it's too easy. I can take on a rabbit if it's alert and I have to work for it, but if I get within 15 feet of a little one sunning itself then I usually just smile and walk away. There's no sport in shooting things like that, and there's always another day. My land doesn't have a serious problem with vermin so I don't have to kill everything in sight! Squirrels and magpies always get it because I don't like what they do to the sweet little birds that seem to be in short supply lately, but even then I often feel sad for them. They're not smart enough to realise that the damage they do is excessive, so you can't really blame them for destroying things for fun :good:

When I was about 16 I shot a squirrel, as I had done many times before, and I felt awful. I walked halfway home before I decided that I had to "climb back on the horse". So I turned around, went back to the woods and got another one.

Now I mostly shoot pests and almost all of that gets eaten. I will take birds and rabbits shot by friends and I even pick up road kill (so I save cartridge money).

I do think that squirrels, rabbits and fox cubs look cute, and I won't always take a shot, but I don't feel any guilt if I do.

Merman

:good: so its not just me then ....njc hit the nail on the head,i think the rabbits were just too easy to hit. :good:

i am going back up to the farm this weekend.........and i have just bought 200 rounds for the 17hmr...and the freezer needs re stocking ......watch this space

mikky