a strange thing happened today

mikky

went out today for half a dozen rabbits....got up to the farm ,set up the hmr 17,looked down the scope,must have been twenty plus rabbits on the far bank.....for some strange reason i could'nt bring myself to shoot any of them :lol: after about half an hour i put my gun away got back in the car and came home.i still don't know why i could'nt shoot the little *******.

has anyone else had the same experience or is it me going soft in my old age :good:

this has happend many a time with me and fox cubs u sit there for the perfect shot whatching them play because u know it in your best interest to take a cub or two as my grandad has a chicken farm egg laying but after seeing them play some times u just cant do it . B) :oops:

I admit I get like that some days but not last night as I shot 17- bunnies (all sizes) and 3-squirrels. I think its good to reflect on what we are doing - makes us more humane and on a shooting forum takes alot of guts to admit it.

My problem is in the past I worked in war zones and have seen alot of gunshot wounds + kids and any critter wriggling on the ground brings it back, I hate to wound only but it happens - I don't take alot of shots that I feel will wound only - say a rabbit from behind, or a pigeon in a tree with a branch masking it vitals etc.

I go shooting to control vermin and admit I enjoy staking and taking a clean shot - I would be a bit worried if I found that I was enjoying the killing for its own sake - animals today , people tomorrow - I have looked down a AK47 gun barrel with a killer at the other end - the hate in their eyes is unforgetable.

went out today for half a dozen rabbits....got up to the farm ,set up the hmr 17,looked down the scope,must have been twenty plus rabbits on the far bank.....for some strange reason i could'nt bring myself to shoot any of them :good: after about half an hour i put my gun away got back in the car and came home.i still don't know why i could'nt shoot the little *******.

has anyone else had the same experience or is it me going soft in my old age :)

Yes you are going soft :lol: I must admit bunnies are cute but it doesnt stop me shooting them :good:

I admit I get like that some days but not last night as I shot 17- bunnies (all sizes) and 3-squirrels. I think its good to reflect on what we are doing - makes us more humane and on a shooting forum takes alot of guts to admit it.

My problem is in the past I worked in war zones and have seen alot of gunshot wounds + kids and any critter wriggling on the ground brings it back, I hate to wound only but it happens - I don't take alot of shots that I feel will wound only - say a rabbit from behind, or a pigeon in a tree with a branch masking it vitals etc.

I go shooting to control vermin and admit I enjoy staking and taking a clean shot - I would be a bit worried if I found that I was enjoying the killing for its own sake - animals today , people tomorrow - I have looked down a AK47 gun barrel with a killer at the other end - the hate in their eyes is unforgetable.

rather dramatic don't you think :lol::good::good::)....................If the memories are that bad...I'd take up flower arranging instead................ :lol:

I enjoy the thrill of a stalk............and pulling the trigger........when I see quarry.....I see free dinner.................free dog food, or out and out vermin.......

Lets be under no illusions here, the kill is the icing on the cake......That dosn't mean to say thought that we don't owe our prize the decency of a clean kill.........

I used to enjoy shooting years ago but after working in many war zones I admit I hated what guns could do to people but years later my son was asked to shoot squirrels by the keeper, I couldn't deny him the enjoyment of the stalk and as he is cadet trained on firearms SA80 is a good safe shot. So I put my hangup aside and supported him - slowly the old images went away and I brought a gun again and work with the estate shoot. Now I enjoy controlling vermin with him and we make a good safe team with our sectors zones and arcs of fire.

The old experience came in useful when a keeper started shooting crows with a 25-06, on how to evade the stupid gun mad sod.

good man :good::good::)

many thanks enjoy the next time out Paul, I had a brill evening yesterday, nobody about whole place to myself. :lol:

They 'binned' the gun mad keeper a few months ago - its so relaxing walking about again. He told one lady "too be careful with her kids as I wouldn't like to shoot them" another time he told some lads,"not to play in his back stop, as it won't be my fault if you get shot" he shot branchers with a HMR 17 next to an airfield, in a previous job somebody used his drive to turn around and he blew the back window out with a 12g. I used to get the same tight feeling in my guts as I did working for the Sandinistas when he was on site. :D

Going off subject for a moment, when I returned from one job I started teaching my now wife how to drive but kept feeling sick when she was driving on country roads - then I realized it was being a passenger and the patched up holes in the road - my guts would tighten as it was like driving down a road with landmines planted. She was not impressed when I told her, " so my driving around bends is as frightening as going over landmines - fine" :lol:

I agree with some here, I dont shoot everything.

Yes I will control the vermin but I dont want to exterminate it. On our farm we like to see a healthy and diverse fauna, as long as the pest species are not in excessive populations then they stay to live another day.

At the end of the day it is about management.

Jerry

squirrels do so much damage - for me,' if they are big enough to take the lead - then they get it' B)

at other times I hold back if I don't need to shoot + with a shotty I carry a pair of binos to make sure I don't make mistakes and to enjoy the bird life I am protecting by shooting squirrels. :good:

I've had the same thoughts when out pigeon shooting once. A dog fox came creeping up the hedge to my right, well within range - my sprocker was in the vets at the time with a broken leg and I didn't fancy visiting pain on another 4 legged creature; I was pretty upset about the wee lad. I did stand up and give him all 3 barrels though, as I know the farmer wanted rid of them.

Remorse over taking any life is only human imho - vermin included.

I know what you mean, ive felt many a time that shooting wildlife is wrong, but after taking the shot and seeing several more rabbits in the area makes me realise the task in hand, still, dont like to shoot squirrels though, so cute! :good::D

Its human nature to have empathy for the things we shoot......I supose if we were just ot and out killers..there'd be Michale Ryans walking about all over the place......

Steve...................squirrels are not cute at all you bender :lol::lol::lol:

seriously, they are very distructive, not only do they drive out our native reds, but will readily feed on small birds eggs and there young given half a chance...........have you ever seen what they can do to a dogs face when caught in open ground...............................not pretty......they are a rat with a furry tail..thats all.......see them...............slot them......... B)

Regularly leave stuff if it doesn't need to be shot. No point killing for the sake of it.

Would like to point out though that squirels, rats and foxes always need to be shot. :good:

FM B)

with you on that one Alex

had many a conversation about this and the word conservation comes to mind, personally i think it would be a little daft to go out and shoot as much as you possibly can, on a vermin list or not. the question is if you do shoot everything in sight what are you going to shoot next time or next year.

i know lads who have had to give up shooting in certain areas as there are no rabbits left to shoot you could say well thats a good job done, but the fact is that they now have not got that shooting. it may be nice to have a walk out with the gun but its always nice to pop the odd bit vermin. and i would certainly not like to skin and clean 30-40 rabbits in one session.

john