H and H gun fitting and lesson

Glenlivet

As I posted last week, on Thursday I had an hour gun fitting followed by an hour shooting lesson on a buy one get one free deal at Holland and Holland in Northwood Middlesex.After checking into my hotel on Wednesday afternoon I went straight to the shooting ground where they agreed to store my gun for a couple of nights to keep it secure - a good start

Next morning we started promptly on the pattern plate where I discovered my gun is shooting slightly to the left. All the other stock measurements are OK so a 1/4" of offset was recommended. Off then to the clays where I totally disgraced myself on some long, slow driven birds (I have a tendancy to out-think myself when given too much time on a bird). Mount, stance and timing corrected from where we went walkabout and shot a huge variety of targets in the most phenomenal settings and in beautiful sunshine (nice of them to arrange the weather!). I actually shot pretty well and really felt the benefit of having someone there who was instantly able to correct my mistakes.

A really postive experience which I will be repeating at some point in the future and which I would recommend to anyone. Many thanks to my instructor Roland Wild for his patience and knowledge. He mentioned he was taking early retirement, not on my account I hope :sad1: I realise that the new techniques will take a while to "bed in" so am not expecting miracles but given practise I'm sure I will benefit from the experience.

"DON"T BE AFRAID TO SEE THE LEAD" will stay with me for a good while.....

BTW - no corkage for use of own cartridges :good:

Edited by Glenlivet

Very glad you enjoyed and seemed to have gained from the experience. :good:

If only more people got the gun to fit early on it would help them improve as with a good mount it provides the very basis on which to build a good shooting technique. :rolleyes:

Also good to know about using your own shells. :good:

Great write up and its great that you found it useful. I have the Mrs booked in for a 2 hour lesson tomorrow so fingers crossed she will benefit from it as well.

Good luck to her. Looks like she'll get the weather I got 😄

Very glad you enjoyed and seemed to have gained from the experience. :good:

If only more people got the gun to fit early on it would help them improve as with a good mount it provides the very basis on which to build a good shooting technique. :rolleyes:

Also good to know about using your own shells. :good:

Early on???? Only took me 35 years 😄 Edited by Glenlivet

It's flippin' expensive place - Go on, hurt us - What was the damage?

Can't remember.....it was too long ago in my case!

Only £110 per hour at the moment!

On their 2 for 1 offer I paid £124 for two hours, cartridges and clays extra (used my own cartridges, no corkage).

Well worth it in my opinion. Apart from the standard of instruction, the sheer variety of targets on offer was phenomenal. When I think of my local grounds there is absolutely no comparison!

Apart from the standard of instruction, the sheer variety of targets on offer was phenomenal. When I think of my local grounds there is absolutely no comparison!

Being a trap shooter, I used to go there because they had an instructor who was also a trap shooter. He would set things up so that I could shoot at a particular target that I was having trouble with, I always came away with the problem solved!

Exactly my point, just think how good you would be if you had done it years ago!

Exactly my point, just think how good you would be if you had done it years ago!

There's that bloody echo again ! 35 years of happier shooting, maybe ?

Being a trap shooter, I used to go there because they had an instructor who was also a trap shooter. He would set things up so that I could shoot at a particular target that I was having trouble with, I always came away with the problem solved!

Would that have been Andy Perkins, Les? Doh, should've read all the posts. I'd heard he's into RC aircraft too. There's a bunch fly them at Nuthampstead, an old stomping ground of Andy's so hopefully he'll turn up there one Wednesday or Saturday. Edited by PhilR

+ 1

I had same gun fit/lesson with Nathan Dudley for a significant birthday a few years back. Yes it's expensive but I felt it was worth the money. You get your own personal gun spec and the 2 guns I've bought since were both been taken straight to the gunsmiths and adjusted to the spec before I used them.

Had my 525 measured and fitted couple of months back(1/4 off lop,bit more r/h cast) was a bit strange at first,but now really feeling the benefit,wish I'd done it earlier!!

First sporting shoot today after the alterations. Hitting crossers for fun but driven/going away, previously gimme birds, are proving challenging. Think I'm still compensating for lack of cast and missing to the right.

It'll get better......I hope!