Never in the middle of the field. ,,,,,discuss.

Columba Grey

Yes. It can be done but you need to have a proper bale hide. I did know a bloke who towed an old caravan out there when the ground Was hard and frosty. I know that this sounds daft but it worked. HE just towed It out there as something to frighten and deter The bird's off but they took no notice of It at all so he shot out of the doorway. He put the pattern out as usual and it worked well. He even had the gas cooker going and had a brew and dinner going. I thought it was a brilliant idea. The only downside that I could see was that it might be a pig to get off the field If It was left out on the field and it got stuck in the mud. On the face of it the idea seems barmy but it had everything going for it. Out of the weather, no setting up you could leave the kit such as decoys and stuff inside If It was lockable, warm, hot drink and grub. A right home from home. You could even have another shooter using the end window. The swing would be a bit restricted to the pattern area though.

I have done it on standing wheat with a standard hide kit made into a square. There was a flattened patch that they were dropping in that i could not reach from the edge of the field. I made a 1m square box with two nets and sat in there. It worked a treat as that was where they wanted to be. Not sure on rape but must be worth a try?

Small trailer behind a 4x4.

Get it all ready with cam poles and nets etc. Go along the tramlines. Drop trailer. Block it up at the back to stop it tipping.

Drive truck away, shiny windows are not good, and walk back to your new hide.

Closer you can make the nets/curtains look like the crop the better.

You don't need a bale hide.

Yes. It can be done but you need to have a proper bale hide. I did know a bloke who towed an old caravan out there when the ground Was hard and frosty. I know that this sounds daft but it worked. HE just towed It out there as something to frighten and deter The bird's off but they took no notice of It at all so he shot out of the doorway. He put the pattern out as usual and it worked well. He even had the gas cooker going and had a brew and dinner going. I thought it was a brilliant idea. The only downside that I could see was that it might be a pig to get off the field If It was left out on the field and it got stuck in the mud. On the face of it the idea seems barmy but it had everything going for it. Out of the weather, no setting up you could leave the kit such as decoys and stuff inside If It was lockable, warm, hot drink and grub. A right home from home. You could even have another shooter using the end window. The swing would be a bit restricted to the pattern area though.

It is always my place of choice whenever possible you get a 360 degree killing zone and you don't need an elaborate hide the normal poles and nets will do. Keep as still as possible until birds are in range it's movement that will put them off not the appearance of another bush in the middle of the field.

It is always my place of choice whenever possible you get a 360 degree killing zone and you don't need an elaborate hide the normal poles and nets will do. Keep as still as possible until birds are in range it's movement that will put them off not the appearance of another bush in the middle of the field.

+1 My trailer hide is just because it is quicker and easier.