Knife thread

oowee

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking at that handle - and thinking, "That looks uncomfortable..."

But the sheer quality of the build - exquisite!

I love the little Chou Scully posted above - feeling inspired to get out into the workshop and make something now :D

I know what you mean but surely it can't be uncomfortable at that price!

£1500.00 for sheath knife and around £700.00 for folder.

Don't think obsidian brain surgery scalpels cost that. If the knives had precious metals and jewels you could see the value but not for wood and steel.

I suppose we don't know what handmade effort that goes into them but probably still doesn't warrant it.

How much better can it cut for the increase in price over a clipper or opinel. Who has need to cut telephone directories?

If knives are your thing and you collect them great but cost for a cutting tool :no: some antique owned by some famous person I could see the value. Winston Churchills pocket knife etc.

Are these expensive knives made out of something special,or folded thousands of times like shoguns blade?

How much better can it cut for the increase in price over a clipper or opinel. Who has need to cut telephone directories?

If knives are your thing and you collect them great but cost for a cutting tool :no: some antique owned by some famous person I could see the value. Winston Churchills pocket knife etc.

Are these expensive knives made out of something special,or folded thousands of times like shoguns blade?

For everyday tasks like gutting, cutting twine/rope etc etc, an opinel is enough so what job would you use a 2k rockstead? People who cultivate bamboo but they would use parang/machetes. Really it's just a status or collectors knife. I'm not truly sure how they are made but not your average blade.

Just to bring us back to earth in the prices ............. was sorting out my shooting box and re-found this little lock knife, bought in Cabelas, South Dakota 15 years ago for $3. Its still sharp and is a nice little novelty (I think there was a federal promotion on at the time)

post-75958-0-22129900-1461177431_thumb.jpgpost-75958-0-16856600-1461177600_thumb.jpgpost-75958-0-38664900-1461177668_thumb.jpg

Edited by impala59