12v batt charger

roadkill

I would have thought a standard car battery charger would output a much higher charging current than these small batteries are designed for?

It will charge it up but might get very hot, reduce it's life and could potentially be dangerous.

It all depends on the charger but some car battery chargers aren't very high tech.

You really need to read the specs on the battery and charger to be safe.

I would have thought a standard car battery charger would output a much higher charging current than these small batteries are designed for?

It will charge it up but might get very hot, reduce it's life and could potentially be dangerous.

It all depends on the charger but some car battery chargers aren't very high tech.

Yep, those batteries could go out of shape, not hold charge if used with the wrong type of charger, had local farmers store have a load returned and turned out people were using their car chargers on them.

Agreed. I use a CTEK XS 800 charger - conditioner. Not cheap. £35''ish.. But they won't boil your batteries.

The one you suggest in the link is way to powerful for a jell cell. You should charge the battery at 1/10c so for the battery you have that is 700ma or 0.7A. Google gell cell charger and look for between 500 and 800 mah output at 12v.

The one you suggest in the link is way to powerful for a jell cell. You should charge the battery at 1/10c so for the battery you have that is 700ma or 0.7A. Google gell cell charger and look for between 500 and 800 mah output at 12v.

I have bought a 12v 7ah batt for lamping , now i need a charger for it, any links or suggestions please

jamie

http://www.beamled.com/led-two-spotlight-emergency-light.html?gclid=CJ6Jr8zPicwCFWQq0wodb5sDUA&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have two off these different models but you get the picture , keep them on perm charge

Well if you're referring to the one in the link I found on Amazon then the clue is in the model name 0.8.

That's 0.8A or 800ma...

"The XS 0.8 is CTEK’s smallest 12 V charger. It offers state of the art technology and is perfect for charging smaller 12 V batteries that can be found in motorcycles, jet skis, ATVs and lawnmowers. It is also suitable for maintenance charging “normal- sized” batteries such as car batteries. The unique display allows the user to follow the entire charging process. The XS 0.8 is a compact and fully automatic 6-step charger for 12 V batteries from 1.2–32 Ah and is suitable for maintenance charging up to 100 Ah. The XS 0.8 is IP65 classified (splash and dust proof), delivers 0.8 A and is designed to protect vehicle electronics. It is non-sparking, reverse polarity protected and short-circuit proof."

I wasn't actually recommending that one in particular, just pointing out the model name had changed which might be why he couldn't find a better price.

He doesn't actually say it's a jell/gell/gel(!!!) cell either, it may be standard sealed lead acid type.

But if you say it twice it must be right! lol

I'd still rather have the one I bought off eBay though as it's a very advanced little charger for the price.

Yes you can get a cheap trickle charger but they take AGES to charge from flat and when you find you've forgotten to charge your battery after your last trip and have to wait a whole day to get any charge in it you might wish you'd spent another tenner or so ;)

Edited by ChrisPCarter

Well if you're referring to the one in the link I found on Amazon then the clue is in the model name 0.8.

That's 0.8A or 800ma...

"The XS 0.8 is CTEK’s smallest 12 V charger. It offers state of the art technology and is perfect for charging smaller 12 V batteries that can be found in motorcycles, jet skis, ATVs and lawnmowers. It is also suitable for maintenance charging “normal- sized” batteries such as car batteries. The unique display allows the user to follow the entire charging process. The XS 0.8 is a compact and fully automatic 6-step charger for 12 V batteries from 1.2–32 Ah and is suitable for maintenance charging up to 100 Ah. The XS 0.8 is IP65 classified (splash and dust proof), delivers 0.8 A and is designed to protect vehicle electronics. It is non-sparking, reverse polarity protected and short-circuit proof."[/size]

I wasn't actually recommending that one in particular, just pointing out the model name had changed which might be why he couldn't find a better price.

He doesn't actually say it's a jell/gell/gel(!!!) cell either, it may be standard sealed lead acid type.

But if you say it twice it must be right! lol[/size]

I'd still rather have the one I bought off eBay though as it's a very advanced little charger for the price.[/size]

Yes you can get a cheap trickle charger but they take AGES to charge from flat and when you find you've forgotten to charge your battery after your last trip and have to wait a whole day to get any charge in it you might wish you'd spent another tenner or so ;)[/size][/

Whoops I made a mistake so thank you for being so polite as to point it out in such a subtle manner

That's 0.8A or 800ma...

"The XS 0.8 is CTEKs smallest 12 V charger. It offers state of the art technology and is perfect for charging smaller 12 V batteries that can be found in motorcycles, jet skis, ATVs and lawnmowers. It is also suitable for maintenance charging normal- sized batteries such as car batteries. The unique display allows the user to follow the entire charging process. The XS 0.8 is a compact and fully automatic 6-step charger for 12 V batteries from 1.232 Ah and is suitable for maintenance charging up to 100 Ah. The XS 0.8 is IP65 classified (splash and dust proof), delivers 0.8 A and is designed to protect vehicle electronics. It is non-sparking, reverse polarity protected and short-circuit proof."[/size]

But if you say it twice it must be right! lol[/size]

I'd still rather have the one I bought off eBay though as it's a very advanced little charger for the price.[/size]

Yes you can get a cheap trickle charger but they take AGES to charge from flat and when you find you've forgotten to charge your battery after your last trip and have to wait a whole day to get any charge in it you might wish you'd spent another tenner or so ;)[/size][/

Whoops I made a mistake so thank you for being so polite as to point it out in such a subtle manner

You're welcome! 😀