DT11 v MX2000s

Will Poon

My mate uses a DT11 with 1/2 & 3/4 and I too always remark that his breaks seem to be something else even compared to my own at times which are flush Briley 1/2 & 3/4 through a 682E :yes: . What seems to happen is that even on the ones he merely crushes (rather than pulverises) he sometimes still gets a whisp of smoke somehow :| . The only logical explanation I can see is dense central concentration which smokes an already broken part of a clay which hasn't quite been centred.

I can shoot his gun as well as my own and have to say it doesn't feel incredibly tight to shoot, not like when I try 3/4 F in my own which I find a handful.

Not the choking, the DT11's have a larger bore size than an mx2000, this works in numerous ways, one less recoil, but also less friction on the wad (this can be bad on fibre wads), the less friction gives a quicker time to target ( see Perazzi's blurb on the high tech, as this is using the same principle), so your shells seem to hit harder. But because you have a larger bore size, then restricting it down to the choke it alters the way the gun patterns compared to normal barrels...

Not the choking, the DT11's have a larger bore size than an mx2000, this works in numerous ways, one less recoil, but also less friction on the wad (this can be bad on fibre wads), the less friction gives a quicker time to target ( see Perazzi's blurb on the high tech, as this is using the same principle), so your shells seem to hit harder. But because you have a larger bore size, then restricting it down to the choke it alters the way the gun patterns compared to normal barrels...

Hmmm. Not convinced about any of that except perhaps marginally less felt recoil. Nigel Teague told me years ago that Beretta chokes pattern tight and with a particularly tight centre. That was certainly my experience with the Optima HP chokes (as used in the DT11). The concern is that with a less dense outer pattern, the margin for error is smaller than with a more even pattern such as a Perazzi with Teagues.

Shell choice makes a big difference too. I ran 1000 Power Blues through my CG and didn't see a single smoker but as soon as I went back to my usual FOB Vipers I was getting some smokers again. Some guns like some combinarions of shells, chokes or both more than others.

I saw this yesterday. One of the group I was shooting with yesterday. He shot the first registered with his kreigoff nothing special on the breaks like most of us. Then on the second shoot he used a borrowed dt10 with hp optima chokes or what ever they are. Same cartridges.

Totally different kills it looked like he just couldn't miss. Haha. But I would say that 95% of the kills were just pure dust even at distance.

Yet he still chooses to shoot the kreigoff most of the time some people are strange

When i had my beretta fitted (which has optima HP chokes) based on the pattern plate the gunsmith thought that they seem 1 or maybe 1.5 steps tighter than stated and advised me to step back to Beretta Cyl and Beretta IC. It could be that Beretta chokes are tighter than others for the same reading, i have also shot high pheasant days with Beretta half and half without feeling under choked (but this would possibly equate to ¾ and ¾ or more - strange how the gun didn't come with a full choke)