Mechanics-Track Rod End Replaced Now Wheel Wobble

ph5172

A quick pick of mechanically minded peoples brains.

Car failed MOT on a worn track rod end, the wheel did actually move when i was shown and the car did pull slightly

Anyhow £100 notes later and all is done - New trackrod end and alignment

Now i am sure when i am driving the car feels slightly wandary and there is wheel wobble - that or i am going mad. It wasn't there before i had the trackrod done.

I have jacked up the car (both sides) and there doesn't appear to be any play in the wheels.

I will try and pop it back tomorrow but in the meantime any ideas?

wheel balance out? highlighted by the alignment being done correctly? - If so i have no issues forking out to have it done.

Cheers

The wheel is not balanced on the car, it is balanced on a machine, so that excuse is out.

Try getting the alignment checked again!

The other half had a Ford Orion just after we got married (good car it had the 1.6 Zetec lump in the front), she had the alignment done at the main Ford dealer in Lynn when she had the tyres replaced there (they had a good offer on some tyres as I recall). Within 50 miles the tyres were down to the canvas on the inside as the senior mechanic had set the tracking up so incorrectly. They replaced the tyres and the mechanic got the elbow!

The wheel is not balanced on the car, it is balanced on a machine, so that excuse is out.

Try getting the alignment checked again!

The other half had a Ford Orion just after we got married (good car it had the 1.6 Zetec lump in the front), she had the alignment done at the main Ford dealer in Lynn when she had the tyres replaced there (they had a good offer on some tyres as I recall). Within 50 miles the tyres were down to the canvas on the inside as the senior mechanic had set the tracking up so incorrectly. They replaced the tyres and the mechanic got the elbow!

I should have said it was only alignment done, no wheel balance or the like.

It may be just coincidence and a couple of weights have come off?

If the wobble is constant, its more than just a wheel weight. If it starts at a speed like 50mph then it could be a weight. If its the latter, and you only had one track rod, pop your spare on that side and try that! If the prob is resolved, get your wheel checked out.

Edited by Lord Geordie

My car had wobble due to a faulty tyre! The tread had a huge lump. Also my recent car had death wobble, that was a worn steering column UJ. But buckled rims, worn wheel bearings, worn bottom ball joints, worn rack, inner and outer track rod ends, strut top mounts, roll bars can all cause issues!

Edited by Lord Geordie

Move the back wheels to the front of the car and see if you still have the same problem, if yes then check for correct toe in, usually about 1/8'' as ditchman said check tyre pressure, so long as you have none of the faults pointed out by Lord Geordie, wheel wobble is usually down to unbalanced wheels and should come and go at different speeds.

All seems well.

Car had a check, all was fine!

No movement and all locking nuts on track rods secured after alignment and repair, no worn bushes.

wheel balance carried out.

145g out on the nearside and 75g out on the offside, apparently at 20g out you would start to feel it.

Quite why i never noticed it before is beyond me, but they did say the worn track rod end and wheels out of alignment may have masked it slightly