FAC for a landowner?

buze

I 'understand' that if you own some land, it's pretty easy to get a FAC, at least for some calibers -- How accurate is that? I own about 10 acres of land, and I seen game there (ducks, pheasants and rabbits) -- Would that be enough criteria to get a FAC for for example .22*? /Ultimately/ I'd love to be able to tag along to a couple of my friends who go foxing/lamping, and I wouldn't necessarily shoot on my own bit of land -- if it's not 'required' by my licence of course - I would probably go and do targets for a while before trying to shoot anything moving anyway.

Understand that I don't know BEEP about FACs and the 'permission' implication associated, I'm a complete newbie, so feel free to argue, but please don't assume I mean to do the 'wrong' thing, on the contrary.

The thing with FAC is that you need to show 'good reason' to possess. For a 12 acre smallholding, with 75 further acres of moorland, I've got a 22LR and 223. Though I also shoot on several hundred further acres, neighbouring farms and a game shoot.

If (for example) you've got sheep and chickens, then getting similar calibres yourself shouldn't be a problem. A 22LR for rabbits, and a 223 for fox for livestock protection.

Do be aware that if you went down the 'target' route for getting a FAC (club membership, etc.) then your FAC will usually be conditioned for target use only, with no authority to use on other than approved ranges, and no authority for expanding ammunition.

However, being a member of somewhere is useful. Most of my 223 shooting is done on ranges. But (hopefully !) practice makes perfect, and it certainly makes me more comfortable on the rifle when I am out foxing.

If you can show a need for a rifle then go for it. I got my fac quite a few years ago for vermin control (rabbits) on about 10 acres of my land with no problems. I was going to get an fac air rifle but my feo recommended a 22 rimfire. I also have a 17 hmr as well as a variation in for another 22 rimfire for night vision all for this land altough I dio shoot a few places as my licence is open.

I 'understand' that if you own some land, it's pretty easy to get a FAC, at least for some calibers -- How accurate is that? I own about 10 acres of land, and I seen game there (ducks, pheasants and rabbits) -- Would that be enough criteria to get a FAC for for example .22*? /Ultimately/ I'd love to be able to tag along to a couple of my friends who go foxing/lamping, and I wouldn't necessarily shoot on my own bit of land -- if it's not 'required' by my licence of course - I would probably go and do targets for a while before trying to shoot anything moving anyway.

Understand that I don't know BEEP about FACs and the 'permission' implication associated, I'm a complete newbie, so feel free to argue, but please don't assume I mean to do the 'wrong' thing, on the contrary.

Being a Land Owner as such should not make any difference, its all about the type and size of land and the problem that requires shooting on it.

Target shooting is a whole different thing and comes with different FAC conditions.

If you know people already that shoot start by talking to them, they should be able to give you an idea!

being a landowner doesnt mean youd atomatically be granted a firearm it can also be affected by your experience and your personal circumstances .ie any criminal record ,naughty friends or family.im not saying you have or do of course im just stating what other havent best of luck ..