Some GP's refusing to co-operate with police?

Scully

Basically, if the GPs wont or don't respond within 21 days, then it is taken as read that no medical reasons exist for withholding a grant or renewal and the firearms licencing teams have to process as normal (ie they cannot withhold a renewal or grant). If GPs refuse to play ball unless you pay for their signatures, you can refuse to pay them as no payment is required under legislation and the end result is the same. It's yet another piece of flawed and unnecessary red tape.

Edited by Savhmr

Basically, if the GPs wont or don't respond within 21 days, then it is taken as read that no medical reasons exist for withholding a grant or renewal and the firearms licencing teams have to process as normal (ie they cannot withhold a renewal or grant). If GPs refuse to play ball unless you pay for their signatures, you can refuse to pay them as no payment is required under legislation and the end result is the same. It's yet another piece of flawed and unnecessary red tape.

This is not exactly true. There is no legislation in place relating to this issue.

When I had my first application in five years ago I asked my doctor during a appointment if the police had contacted him, he showed me the letter asking him if I had any medical condition that would affect me with firearms, he told me that as I didn't have any such conditions he just didn't respond as there was no need, then he just saved the letter on the computer on my records.

Im hoping will be the same again on my renewal this year.

Edited by smokinggun