Andy Murray

felly100

I used to think Murray was a supercilious little **** ..I still perhaps do...but boy is he the best British Tennis player we have ever seen... and the best Scottish Tennis player the world has ever seen.?

I agree with you some people are never happy unless they are winging about something I am not into tennis at all but god does he urn his money.

How much does a Grecian urn?

I have great admiration for him. Great sportsman, huge supporter of the Davis Cup team. Made believers of a lot of other British tennis players by his example of "work incredibly hard and then work a bit more" we see players moving up the rankings. And by the way in spite of someone's previous comment as a resident of England I very much doubt if he had a vote in the Scottish Referendum.

David.

I find it hypocritical of Andy Murray as a high profile personality pushing the vote for the independence for Scotland in the recent UK referendum........agreed and was "honoured" to carry the flag for the GB team in the opening ceremony of the Olympics!!

Can't say I have the same regard for him now!

Are you confusing UK and GB? I wasn't paying much attention to personalities so hadn't realised he was pushing for an independence vote. That vote was about leaving the UK, geography means that Scotland can't leave Great Britain. Wouldn't any future Olympic Team GB team continue to be made up of athletes from all over the globe, as it currently is and always has been? Have you heard of a Somalian guy called Mohamed Muktar Jama Farah?

Are you confusing UK and GB? I wasn't paying much attention to personalities so hadn't realised he was pushing for an independence vote. That vote was about leaving the UK, geography means that Scotland can't leave Great Britain. Wouldn't any future Olympic Team GB team continue to be made up of athletes from all over the globe, as it currently is and always has been? Have you heard of a Somalian guy called Mohamed Muktar Jama Farah?

Spot on.

I think the butthurt is strong with this one.

Currently the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is a country, the individual regions of Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland are not presently different countries but merely regions of one country.

Great Britain is made up currently of the regions of England, Wales and Scotland.

Does it not follow that if Scotland voted to be an independant country in its own right it would cease to be a region of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and consequently cease to be part of the Country called the United Kingdom Of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?

And as Great Britain is currently made up of the regions of England, Scotland and Wales, if Scotland were an independant country rather than a region how could Scotland be part of Great Britain?

What on earth has Mo Farrah got to do with it? I didn't know he was Scottish!

Currently the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is a country, the individual regions of Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland are not presently different countries but merely regions of one country.

Great Britain is made up currently of the regions of England, Wales and Scotland.

Does it not follow that if Scotland voted to be an independant country in its own right it would cease to be a region of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and consequently cease to be part of the Country called the United Kingdom Of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?

And as Great Britain is currently made up of the regions of England, Scotland and Wales, if Scotland were an independant country rather than a region how could Scotland be part of Great Britain?

What on earth has Mo Farrah got to do with it? I didn't know he was Scottish!

Yes, the UK is a political union. Great Britain is a place. An independent Scotland can't somehow stop being part of Great Britain.

Team GB is made up athletes from Great Britain (mainly), but in fact athletes from all over the world who meet qualifying criteria. Mo Farah is an example. Ergo, even in an independent Scotland, Andy Murray would still be in Team GB, and presumably would still be honoured to carry the team GB flag if he was ever asked to do so again.

I don't see anything hypocritical there. But you do apparently - hey ho.

Yes, the UK is a political union. Great Britain is a place. An independent Scotland can't somehow stop being part of Great Britain.

Team GB is made up athletes from Great Britain (mainly), but in fact athletes from all over the world who meet qualifying criteria. Mo Farah is an example. Ergo, even in an independent Scotland, Andy Murray would still be in Team GB, and presumably would still be honoured to carry the team GB flag if he was ever asked to do so again.

I don't see anything hypocritical there. But you do apparently - hey ho.

No, the United Kingdom of Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) and Northern Ireland is not just a political union it is one sovereign country the same as Russia, France, Spain etc etc, if Scotland wishes to be a sovereign country in its own right it cannot be part of the Country of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland any more than Russia can be part of Spain!

So Andy Murray (like any other athlete who meets the criteria) would have to choose, would he represent his Country (Scotland) or the country he was formerly a citizen of..........because how could what is currently our country continue to be called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?

Andy Murray voted and canvassed for Scotland to leave the United Kingdom (UK) of Great Britain (GB) and Northern Ireland....if you cannot see hypocracy in him carrying the Flag representing the country he wishes to leave then move the magnet away from your moral compass!

• 2 weeks later...