Oculus Rift

AVB

They are the latest in virtual reality headsets. My son wants one and I am negotiating how much he will pay and how much I will pay for a Christmas present.

Anyway I believe you need a high powered 'gaming' PC to run it. I don't know much about PC's as we are an 'Apple' house. I don't want to go down the route of building my own (if you knew me you would know why) so are there any recommended makes of gaming PC i should look at?

Thanks

My brother has one and they aren't cheap.

When the first prototypes came out my cousin works for a huge computer company so brought one home for us to have a play with.

As for the PC, I think you would need a fairly decent spec to take advantage of the benefits.

There are websites out there however where you pick the components and they build it all for you, which would result in a better build than any standard package normally.

Overclockers is one I believe. All depends how much you want to spend though.

I had a go on a an HTC Vive last weekend and it was amazing. I haven't used an OR but mates in the industry say that currently the Vive is the better of the two. It'll run you just shy of £700 before you get a PC. The OR is going to sell fo £550 in the UK.

There is an interesting comparison of the two systems here.

http://www.techradar.com/news/wearables/htc-vive-vs-oculus-rift-1301375

Minimum spec you are looking at for a PC to run either is an Intel i5-4590 or higher and an AMD RX480/GTX 1060 and 8Gb RAM. You could realistically build a monster rig that would easily do that ~£800, but if you're not up for building one I'd also recommend overclockers to either spec your own and pay them to build it, or they even have a "VR ready" category now that you can buy off the peg.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-systems/gaming-pc/vr-gaming-pc

Total budget I'd say you're looking at ~£1500 all in depending on which VR headset you go with.

Then you just need to wait for them to perfect redirected walking for VR and you'll never have to leave your house again.