Pistol primers

I have a notion that some shotgun cartridge loads designate pistol primers and rifle primers.... e.g. 303 or 444 brass cases formed to 410, so I would assume that in those circumstances they would be just 'primers'. There is nothing on my FAC which says I have to a) produce it or b) log the purchase when buying primers. Well, I have never been asked anyway.

AFAIK they are legal to own and buy without an FAC

Just the same as buying the other three components ( expanding excepted) in that you can have all four together legally but as soon as you assemble them then your in poo poo without the authority to posses that calibre.

That's my understanding of it......

The violent crime reduction bill made it such that you need to show a FAC to the shop/RFD with suitable calibre on it to by metallic cartridge primers, but not shotgun primers. However as normal with the stupid laws of this country it is only at the point of sale between shop and original FAC purchaser so once purchased then they can be sold or given to anybody with or without an FAC as no certificate is required to own them.

Think that is correct am sure somebody will be a long to confirm that or google vcr bill.

Rb

It is an offence to sell and buy the primers without a relevant licence/certificate.

(1)This section applies to a cap-type primer designed for use in metallic ammunition for a firearm.

(2)It is an offence for a person to sell to another either—

(a)a primer to which this section applies,

(b)an empty cartridge case incorporating such a primer,

unless that other person falls within subsection (3).

(3)A person falls within this subsection if—

(a)he is a registered firearms dealer;

(b)he sells by way of any trade or business either primers or empty cartridge cases incorporating primers, or both;

©he produces a certificate authorising him to possess a firearm of a relevant kind;

(d)he produces a certificate authorising him to possess ammunition of a relevant kind;

(e)he shows that he is a person in the service of Her Majesty who is entitled under subsection (6) to acquire a primer to which this section applies;

(f)he shows that he is entitled, by virtue of the 1968 Act, the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988 (c. 45) or any other enactment and otherwise than by virtue of being a person in the service of Her Majesty, to have possession, without a certificate, of a firearm of a relevant kind or of ammunition of a relevant kind;

(g)he produces a certificate authorising another person to have possession of such a firearm, or of such ammunition, together with that other person's authority to purchase the primer or empty cartridge case on his behalf; or

(h)he shows that he is authorised by regulations made by the Secretary of State to purchase primers or cartridge cases of the type in question.

(4)It is an offence for a person to buy or to attempt to buy—

(a)a primer to which this section applies, or

(b)an empty cartridge case incorporating such a primer,

unless he falls within subsection (5).

(5)A person falls within this subsection if—

(a)he is a registered firearms dealer;

(b)he sells by way of any trade or business either primers or empty cartridge cases incorporating primers, or both;

©he holds a certificate authorising him to possess a firearm of a relevant kind;

(d)he holds a certificate authorising him to possess ammunition of a relevant kind;

(e)he is a person in the service of Her Majesty who is entitled under subsection (6) to acquire a primer to which this section applies;

(f)he is entitled, by virtue of the 1968 Act, the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988 or any other enactment and otherwise than by virtue of being a person in the service of Her Majesty, to have possession, without a certificate, of a firearm of a relevant kind or of ammunition of a relevant kind;

(g)he is in possession of a certificate authorising another person to have possession of such a firearm, or of such ammunition, and has that other person's authority to purchase the primer or empty cartridge case on his behalf; or

(h)he is authorised by regulations made by the Secretary of State to purchase primers or cartridge cases of the type in question.

Edited by Andy H

I stand very much corrected - thankyou AndyH for the reference.

Fortunately for me here it's not a problem- still get all sorts sent through the post and if I'm stuck for something then the local Decathlon holds some good stock.

Nothing is calibre specific except military calibre so slugs and most rifle carts are avail.

But, for those restricted calibres you can still buy the components mail order but as before- not have them assembled.

The violent crime reduction bill made it such that you need to show a FAC to the shop/RFD with suitable calibre on it to by metallic cartridge primers, but not shotgun primers. However as normal with the stupid laws of this country it is only at the point of sale between shop and original FAC purchaser so once purchased then they can be sold or given to anybody with or without an FAC as no certificate is required to own them.

Think that is correct am sure somebody will be a long to confirm that or google vcr bill.

Rb

The last two times I have bought primers I have not been asked to show my FAC although both times I have had it with me ready to produce. Two different shops too. It seems to be a regional thing. I have heard of people being asked to produce a SGC/FAC when buying powder but again not here.

You could be quite legally loading blanks, a lot of re-enactors do