.17 HMR cleaning

Dirty Harry

I have just got a Sako .17hmr. I got a rod from my local shop and they said you cant get .172 rods but everyone uses .177rods. I got a phospher bronze brush and a jag for a patch but I really struggle to get either down the barell.

What does everyone else use and can you get .172 rods and brushes?

Cheers

Harry

I have just got a Sako .17hmr. I got a rod from my local shop and they said you cant get .172 rods but everyone uses .177rods. I got a phospher bronze brush and a jag for a patch but I really struggle to get either down the barell.

What does everyone else use and can you get .172 rods and brushes?

Cheers

Harry

little and not to often,whatever you rod you get.

Surley it can't be good for the barell to be left dirty. I have only used it twice. 75 rounds and 20 and its been quite dirty both times.

Harry

does the .22 rimmie no harm.

What about your .17?

after about every 400, if the accuracy is going off, then 20/25 shots after cleaning to get it back on.but learn what yours likes.

I've done a huge amount of reading on this over the past few months, and most people say not to clean too often. Regular brushing seems to be a bad idea, and can reduce barrel life from what I've heard. The rifling is very fine, and easy to damage with careless use of a rod and brush :good:

I have to say that there is a world of difference between target accuracy and hunting accuracy .Basically the best groups shot at a range with my HMR have ALWAYS been with a clean barrel .Using a Bi-pod and sandbag rest on the rear I actually notice the groups opening up after 15 shots .

After 50 shots I'm averaging a 1" group if i don't count the more frequent flyers .....Would all be dead rabbits at 100 yds though :blink:

Bore guide

Jag

Patches

Butches bore shine

No bronze brush and definately no oil

Why is that then?

i find the hmr like a girl from kent.

they like it dirty mate.

try it. the hmr i mean.

You cheeky beggar mark, northern girls are so much easier than the kent lasses! :whistling:

you wont get a argument from me on that one.

but them hunting days are gone mate.

Just a point - the top prone / 3p shooters in the world ALL clean there gun after every shoot.

I clean my FWB after each session, and then run oil through it to protect the barrel.

It take two shots to get back on the bull, and one you loose cause the barrels cold

• 9 months later...

Markbivvy

A.22lr is a soft lead bullet that is wax coated, a .17hmr bullet is a copper jacketed bullet like a centerfire bullet and leaves copper residue on the rifling which can cause loss of accuracy.

smaller calliber rifles are notorious for been difficult to clean and more prone to suffering from barrel fouling.

Ian

• 1 year later...

Another thread where everyone swears by different methods!

Got my HMR second hand and don't think it's been cleaned. Just used loads of ammo zeroing so don't want to clean it just yet as I'll have to re zero??

Shouldn't do actually thinking about it.

Heard horror stories about usuing a boresnake. :good:

Just a point - the top prone / 3p shooters in the world ALL clean there gun after every shoot.

I clean my FWB after each session, and then run oil through it to protect the barrel.

It take two shots to get back on the bull, and one you loose cause the barrels cold

While that is true you can only have a clean barrel for one shot.

My Anschutz target rifle never gets cleaned. It takes 4 sighters to warm the barrel and then it is spot on all the time. Any misses are down to me.

My HMR has also never been cleaned and it has had around 1000 rounds through it. Whether it is me getting used to it or not but I don't miss much with it so the accuracy cannot be that bad.