Franchi Affinity 1 problems

paultap

Hi Guys

A friend has recently purchased a franchi affinity 1 shotgun, this has a synthetic stock and 28 inch barrel. We took it to a clay ground for its initial firing two weeks ago, it functioned very well and cycled every cartridge that was put through it including some 25 gram 2 inch eley game cartridges. My friend ran a bore snake through it to give it a quick clean and put it away, it had fired about 60 cartridges.

Today we returned to the range, we used the same 28 gram cartridges as on its first outing., the gun gave us nothing but problems. Generally if one cartridge was dropped in to the chamber and the other was fed into the mag tube, the gun would often fire and eject the first cartridge but fail to pick up and chamber a cartridge from the chamber, the bolt would be closed on an empty chamber. If just a single cartridge was dropped into the chamber, it would fire but the bolt would not lock back showing an empty chamber.

I field stripped the gun but could not see anything obvious, it appears that running a bore snake through it on an open chamber without removing the barrel has somehow effected it.... I will be phoning GMK in the morning for some advice but as it stands it looks like the gun might have to be returned to GMK, it was purchased New from a Gunshop in Scotland and brought back to Wales (some 500 miles away), if the Gunshop was local it would be returned there.

Any Ideas as to what may be causing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure whats causing your issue but I thought it might be worth mentioning I have another thread where I had been having bother with gamebore clear pigeons with the affinity. Was out again with it and used about a box of rio game 30gm 6s no probs at all, the minute I switched to the gamebores second cart the primer was struck but no fire!! I think my issues is def the gamebores they are in 32gm 6's. Have you tried different carts just to see if the issues remain?

Personally dont like that idea with the boresnake where the barrell is not removed but cant see why that would cause the issues esp the bolt not locking back on empty.

Perhaps you should strip it and clean it properly, some debris may be in the chamber where the rotating bolt locks and cleaning it properly might just be the answer.

That's what I was thinking, it's my friends gun and it wasn't me that cleaned it initially. I have advised removing the barrel from now on for cleaning though. I will strip it and clean it after speaking to GMK just incase it's something simple.

I haven't tried other cartridges as it worked flawlessly the first time and then used them again with the resulting problems.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I would try different cartridges first only used 70mm shells in mime, mostly gamebore 35grm pigeon extreme and 28grm clever mirrage t2's at clays not had any cycling problems been times where it would not accept the odd cartridge into the magazine but not very often, alway take my barrel off to run the bore snake through find it easier to use that way....

Cheers Alec

Has the gun been completely stripped and cleaned as they are coated in a waxy preservation grease. Surprising how much comes off into a cloth with cleaner, when the gun looks clean.

Most New guns need to be ran wet for first few hundred carts. I always run my semi autos with lubricated slide rails as steel in alloy will wear.

I think when it's cleaned and lubed it will be fine.

It might be just an ammo issue you sometimes get semis that dont like a cartridge for whatever reason, try something else i would go for something a little livelier see how that goes bbefore i got too involved with trying to repair it, a good thourgh clean and hotter rounds could solve your issues.

We have a hatsan 20 bore auto it wont cycle hull high phesants for some reason but everything else right down to gamebore 21gram steel it works fine. Just how some semis are sometimes. .

I have the affinity and have shot maybe 400 cartridges with no problems cycling at all, I’ve used clear pigeon 70mm 30g and the 32g 6s as well as a few different types including 65mm cartridges, I don’t clean it that often but when I do I make sure I re lubricate the slide rails with engine oil think I seen that on this forum somewhere…works a treat