Hull cartridge Comp X 28 gram

Guest stevo

I tried some of those and found them VERY punchy and uncomfortable to use,

I do know that they are ceasing production of them as they are taking sales off their other budget cartridges, so either stock up now or switch to something else

:shaun:

I'm surprised you found Imperial uncomfortable; I have found them to be one of the most comfortable, used in an AyA No 1 mainly ..... also very effective. I would also not consider them 'budget' at near £300/1000.

Edited by JohnfromUK

I used a box of express power blue followed by a box of comp X in 28gm and I couldn't believe the difference, Comp X were much softer.

I've gone off the whole superfast/velocity thing. I'm much more comfortable with a softer recoiling cartridge. I had a lesson recently and used the 21gm comp X. They broke the highest clays at the Fennes in Braintree no problem.

I used 32gm RC sipes for my game shooting last year, I've gone back to 30gsm Hull high pheasant and they're much more pleasant!

I have shot a lot of CompX (9 - 28g) for skeet and have been really impressed with them. In the last couple of years, I have probably shot 30-40,000 rounds.

• They seem to pattern well (at 20m with a Bertetta 692);
  • have little recoil (the 21g shot well too with even less recoil);
  • leave little dirt in the gun (most of what is left behind is a small amount of plastic fouling);
  • pretty reliable (I tend to get one dud in approximately 10,000 rounds which seems good to me);
  • and they are good value for money.

A couple of shooters that I have bumped into have referred to them as a training cartridge (whatever that means!) and, despite trying other cartridges, I always came back to using CompX. In terms of price and performance, they seem pretty good.

Having said all of that, I have very recently changed to ProPiston. These seem a little punchier and I am getting better kills, but they are significantly more expensive. I wouldn't surprised if some (or all) of this is psychological, but the combination of the cartridge, the gun and the way that I shoot seem to work for me. Just my 2p!