gun fit advice needed

Moley1508

hi all,

I used a silver pigeon today for the first time (borrowed)

it felt uncomfortable to me in that when mounted in my shoulder so that the butt pad sat well, I was unable to get the rail flat in my field of vision. the only way I could counter this was to raise the butt pad to a point where the bottom edge was digging into the upper part of my shoulder

hope that makes sense?

so, the silver pigeon was a consideration for when my SC arrives but now I have tried it, is this problem my fault i.e. poor mounting, although the instructor did not mention it, or should I discount this gun and look for something with a more aggressive angled receiver and lower stock to bring the rear of the rail flatter?

if so, any suggestions?

sorry if I have not explained that too well, hope you get what I mean.

thanks in advance,

Moley

Edited by Moley1508

It sounds like the comb is way too low. Try a Trap gun - if that fits - you have a better idea of good gun fit.

Alternatively, temporarily tape some cardboard on top of the stock, until you get the gun properly in your shoulder and your eye looking along the rib of the barrel. If that is okay, you can then consider an adjustable comb fitted to your stock, buy a trap / higher stock or use one of the kits which have different pieces of foam to raise the comb.

If you are new to shooting then the chances are it is your mount and stance that need to be worked on . Sorry to say many so called instructors do not take the time needed to work on this . I would say that 60% of gun fit problems I dealt with were largely cured by getting this right . Try mounting the gun pointing as if to take a high bird, that is barrels up in the air ,not on a level . You may find that it comes up to your face and in line far better .

Thats a fact .To many "instructors" dont know anything about gun fit except what they like . Not the same thing at all . See a gun fitter first .

On the same to many gunsmiths think they know all about gun fit and don't know very much.

As above find a gunfitter you'd not ask a stock maker to make you some barrels.

I was unable to get the rail flat in my field of vision.

I think you'll find that the gun makers don't design guns so that you have the rib flat in your field of vision. They expect you to have your line of sight above the rib to enable 'pointing' rather than 'aiming'.

The main point is I think Moley is a new shooter and needs to learn how to shoot ,with all its ins and outs . Said it before and will say it again you can not fit a gun to a man who can not shoot . Like all things it will take time and practice . All any of us can do is offer practical advice ,some of it may not be relevant . Buy the gun you like and learn to shoot with it .Everything else comes later .