Wanted

steve_b_wales

My wife's Ford Focus has developed a fault with the bonnet release. (common problem we've been told) She's been told that she will have to have a new part and have the lock built up to fit her key. Another option is to get an old key and bonnet release parts.

If anyone has, or knows of a focus that's being broken up, She would be happy to buy the parts/key.

Was it an indepedent garage or Ford that checked the car over?Have you checked with Ford to see if their has been any recalls with it being a known problem.The car doesn't have to be in warranty if it's a recall.I think there is a website somewhere that you can check for any recalls by putting your vin number in.

Edited by Davyo

Steve, I don't know how new your Focus is, but a way round this is to take the key barrel out of the lock and when you need you need to open the hood put a screwdriver in the hole and turn. I know its a bodge but you can't see it as the flap covers the hole. By the way, it is a well documented fault on the focus, just google it, there are loads of repair videos on Youtube.

Edited by Chris B123

way round this is to take the key barrel out of the lock and when you need you need to open the hood put a screwdriver in the hole and turn. I know its a bodge but you can't see it as the flap covers the hole.

+1

I had to do the same thing to a 2006 transit van last year, worked really well.

+1

I had to do the same thing to a 2006 transit van last year, worked really well.

+2

2003 ford mondeo, just need a long flat head screw driver.

Its quite easy to do just move the ford badge and in the recess drill around the outer edge a series of holes so you can knock the back out, then inside that you will see the lock mechanism bolted on and you just drill out these bolts till the lock mechanism comes off the front then insert screw driver. Dont worry about making a mess of the plastic as the ford badge flips back down and covers up your handywork,

Edited by ferguson_tom

Was it an indepedent garage or Ford that checked the car over?Have you checked with Ford to see if their has been any recalls with it being a known problem.The car doesn't have to be in warranty if it's a recall.I think there is a website somewhere that you can check for any recalls by putting your vin number in.

Independant garage.

What age focus ?

Steve, I don't know how new your Focus is, but a way round this is to take the key barrel out of the lock and when you need you need to open the hood put a screwdriver in the hole and turn. I know its a bodge but you can't see it as the flap covers the hole. By the way, it is a well documented fault on the focus, just google it, there are loads of repair videos on Youtube.

A mechanic friend of ours, made her a 'T' shaped bar that is inserted through the lock. It lines up with the 'catch' inside, but it's a very awkward way of doing it.