flagging price

Mice!

Hi all got a couple of guys coming round to price up for some flagging, re laying the patio if they show?

Normally do this sort of thing myself but its about 140 flags and it would take me forever plus probably have to buy a mixer, can anyone give me any ideas what sort of price I should be looking at.

Thanks all Mice!

Mostly yes, got some new second hand ones that have stone effect 30 of them with rest coming up then going back down. I'll be doing as much as i can before and during but this way it will get done rather than being months .

Hmmmm tbh cost will be what ever they value it at, if someone's not busy or has little work you could get a bargain.

Obviously theres not going to be any mark up in materials for who ever does it, but will be a heavy element in labour.

Not something I would take on at this time of year, my labour is flat our else where in complete garden redesigns for the next foreseeable, most reputable companies are pretty booked up by now.

OK, about five years ago now I had a patio laid with 600x600 slabs, not fancy ones, stippled Cotswold finish. The quote was £1000 cash including providing the slabs and materials. The area needed 170 slabs. Digging to about a spade deep and removal of waste, fill with a cement sand dry mix and tamp down and lay slabs. Team of four guys turned up and the job was done and completed in half a day and the patio has not moved at all to this day, brilliant job.

OK, about five years ago now I had a patio laid with 600x600 slabs, not fancy ones, stippled Cotswold finish. The quote was £1000 cash including providing the slabs and materials. The area needed 170 slabs. Digging to about a spade deep and removal of waste, fill with a cement sand dry mix and tamp down and lay slabs. Team of four guys turned up and the job was done and completed in half a day and the patio has not moved at all to this day, brilliant job.

Bargain 👍 give this guy there number then 😎

Cheers walker, about what i expected, I think Matt is worried about giving a rough idea incase someone holds him to it ☺

Rough prices aren't a good idea and wouldn't help you as I am not doing the work and it could just end up as a beating stick for who over turns up to quote for you, I prefer the traditional method of; visiting the client, viewing the scale of the proposed works just as the people you have contacted will do,and not forgetting a cuppa and a chat to ascertain the clients budget and design requirements 👍

The tea is compulsory 😉

Laying a 40m2 patio with 3 sizes 450x450,450x200,200x200,its taking me ages can usually lay slabs quick,glad this one is ours and not quoted would of lost loads.

You need to check what they want to lay them on as well,i would normally lay 100mm wacked hardcore,then bed of slabs is 8:1 mortar and pointed in 3:1 mix pressed into joints then ironed in and not with a dry dusty swept in mix that will not last the test.

Done patios like this dating back at least 15 years and no movement.

But we all different,have worked with others who laid on dry lean,ballast mix,dabs,sand sprinkled with cement even took up one that just had sand under it and he wondered why the joints kept cracking up.

Anyway,back to the op its worth what ever the guys best guess is that you accept for what ever it is he has to do,this time of year we are all booked till october.

I had a patio done a couple of years ago, its massively hard work, I saved some money by buying in the slabs and doing the joints myself in mortar, it took a lifetime, it wasn't worth the saving, next time I will just hand over the whole job, I couldn't be bothered to take time off for a few hundred quid, it was a false economy.

That works out under £17 a meter you cant buy the Material's for that and 170 slabs in 4 hr =42 slabs an hr 1 every 90 seconds I would say its not possible to do

I had already done the calculations, 170 of wickes awful 600 x 600 utility slabs are £510 🤔 not that I would ever lay those nasty things. As I said - it'll cost what ever he gets quoted, and considering it's using supplied second hand slabs it just depends on how busy they are. Could get a bargain or could be sky high prices.

I'll let you know when I find out? Just curious what folk had paid for flagging jobs as normally brother and mate would muck in on this kind of thing, but kids rugby football and work mean I'll have to pay out for a change 😊

Cheers what do you mean by ironed in, I've only ever done repairs and green house bases so no idea on cost hence the

After the stiff mortar has been compressed into the joint,it is then left a short time to start to harden then its ironed in which means the joint is pressed in and a finish left same as brickwork,in the case of us old boys its with a metal pail handle.young uns will have a mass produced tool.

Our slabs were £130 per 10m2 inc vat/delivery x 4 packs/40m2= £520

+ 5 tonne sand (or 5 bulk bags @ 850kg each)

+ 12 bags cement

+ 5 ltrs mortar plas

+ 100mm hardcore

+ wacker

+ m/hole inset cover

+ white cement and sand to point up

+ sealer

+ getting shot of spoil but i spread that in the orchard.

If the slabs are 450 x 450 or large random packs i can lay 20m2 a day plus labourer,but this patio because its smaller slabs it took 3 1/2 short days for me and the wife to lay 40m2,but have had to rebuild a manhole and set in a recessed lid with all the cuts and a new gulley and pipe to said manhole.