zero

ips

I always zero at 30yd but have heard of people zeroing at less in order to avoid the hold under at 20yd. Does anyone advocate this or any other cunning method. Talking sub 12ft lb not fac

Edit

For clarity lets talk rabbit shooting in case it makes any difference to the answers

Edited by ips

Hi

Yes, zero is same at 15 and 40yd is a mill dot of hold over (on my map scope) 20 yd is mill dot hold under. Just wondered if there was a better option to sort of effectively flatten out the trajectory as far as zero is concerned.

Hi

Yes, zero is same at 15 and 40yd is a mill dot of hold over (on my map scope) 20 yd is mill dot hold under. Just wondered if there was a better option to sort of effectively flatten out the trajectory as far as zero is concerned.

hello, a different pellet might slighly alter trajectory 1mm up or down is easy to remember providing you know the range of target plus or minus a yard. before the rabbits declined i had a field that showed 10/15 a night so i ranged from the hedge hide to 50/60 mtrs and tied blue twine 20/40/60 yard so i knew roughly the kill zone

I think I need to re phrase this.

If you intend to shoot rabbit at 35 yd max is there a better zero than the 30yd in order to keep the trajectory flat enough to be able to aim bang on centre reticle and still get a good kill.

Been trying to figure this out but my brain is now hurting and chairgun wont install on my phone.

.177 AA400 sub 12lb

Currently zeroed at 30 yd with secondary zero at 15, one mil dot above for 40 one mill dot below for 20....

If its possible I want a range of 15 - 35 yd but reduce the room for error to half a mil dot for all.

So what will primary zero be (if its possible)

I am thinking a zero around the 25yd might do it ??

Edited by ips

I am setup as follows.

10x mag, Hawke Sidewinder SR Pro Ret, HW100 KT.

10.34 JSB Heavy4.52

695fps MV

First zero is: 14.1yards, Second: 28yards. this gives maximum point blank range allowing 5mm.

My remaining aim points are:

1/2 MD - 36yards

1MD - 43 yards

1.5MD - 50 yards

2MD - 56 yards

2.5MD - 63 yards

3MD - 69 yards

Many thanks salop that is EXACTLY the setup I want. I will re zero to 27yd (which is what my brain is telling me should work) and if I can keep within 5-7mm between 15-35 yd I wont need to do any hold over/under when I get on the rabbit.

Thanks that's been most helpful 👍

Wow....what a difference five yards make.

Zeroed at 25yd and shot targets set at 10-15-20-25-30-35 and a spinner at 40

Every distance was shot centre reticule and I am amazed how accurate it was, the 35 yd needed half a mil dot if that and a full mil dot for the 40 yd spinner. Cant quite get my head around were the loopy loo went too.

Great result exactly how I wanted it set up 👍

Probably find you will be moving a touch when your shooting anyway so the half a mil dot won't matter but now you know where the pellet is going it always helps,

I tend to aim high if I'm thinking its a long shot so a bit off a drop gives you head then neck and if its actually closer a clean miss.

I'll bring my chrono round for you if you want at some point so you can put the info into chairgun it looks useful

Forgot to say I also tried the springer. I had forgotten how hard they are too shoot an how bloody awful the tiggers are.

I retract my thread were I sang te praises of springers. I have removed my rose tinted specs which were clouded by sentimentality and nostalgia

Probably find you will be moving a touch when your shooting anyway so the half a mil dot won't matter but now you know where the pellet is going it always helps,

I tend to aim high if I'm thinking its a long shot so a bit off a drop gives you head then neck and if its actually closer a clean miss.

I'll bring my chrono round for you if you want at some point so you can put the info into chairgun it looks useful

That would be great mate. I will contact you when I get back off hols a week next Thursday, eze's season should be finished by then so bring pup and bag full of dummies 😁

I am setup as follows.

10x mag, Hawke Sidewinder SR Pro Ret, HW100 KT.

10.34 JSB Heavy4.52

695fps MV

First zero is: 14.1yards, Second: 28yards. this gives maximum point blank range allowing 5mm.

My remaining aim points are:

1/2 MD - 36yards

1MD - 43 yards

1.5MD - 50 yards

2MD - 56 yards

2.5MD - 63 yards

3MD - 69 yards

It worked exactly as you said my friend. Most grateful I am now sorted with the set up I wanted and am ready for me wabbit. 👍

Yes it is .but its pushing ita bit ..

The way is to use a light weight high ish bc pellet (ie 13.4 grn bc 0.028) falcon acc plus

And use a very high scope hight .ie 2.5 inches plus . (This is best done on a bull pup .like a wildcat etc .this will give you a poi at 15 yds 1/4 inch low .at 26 yds 1/4 inch high a 32 yd zero and at 35 yds 1/4 inch low .so all within 1/2 inch from 15 -35 yds .oh and 11.8 fpe .which in a pcp is most likley to go over with a heavier pellet than 13.4 grn .

Obviously with a springer this could be done but i wouldnt fancy such a high scope on one .

But set it with the light falcon and you should stay legal .