1st attempt at butchering a Muntjac

Well after a fantastic stalk yesterday with the Peltman, he came round this morning to guide me through the butchery process. We hung him up in a doorway & Pelty removed the head & started skinning, after the rump was clear it was my turn with the blade on what he said was the difficult area (cheers mate) :stupid:

Skinned showing bullet entry

post-2169-1181241406.jpg

Bullet exit

post-2169-1181241470.jpg

He then went through all the different cuts from the carcass

post-2169-1181241585.jpg

Thanks for showing me the ropes, taking me out yesterday & running through the butchery process today & most of all fiiling my fridge with a tasty haul of fresh venison. You really are a top geezer :stupid: I owe you a few alchohol free beers :P:good::good:

The funny of the day came from my elderly japanese neighbour as he came down the path & saw Pelty covered in claret weilding a massive knife & he says "vewy big wabbit" :D:):lol:

Cheers Stealth Stalker

post-2169-1181242043.jpg

Well after a fantastic stalk yesterday with the Peltman, he came round this morning to guide me through the butchery process. We hung him up in a doorway & Pelty removed the head & started skinning, after the rump was clear it was my turn with the blade on what he said was the difficult area (cheers mate) :stupid:

Skinned showing bullet entry

post-2169-1181241406.jpg

Bullet exit

post-2169-1181241470.jpg

He then went through all the different cuts from the carcass

post-2169-1181241585.jpg

Thanks for showing me the ropes, taking me out yesterday & running through the butchery process today & most of all fiiling my fridge with a tasty haul of fresh venison. You really are a top geezer :stupid: I owe you a few alchohol free beers :P:):lol:

The funny of the day came from my elderly japanese neighbour as he came down the path & saw Pelty covered in claret weilding a massive knife & he says "vewy big wabbit" :P:P:P

Cheers Stealth Stalker

Just like doing a Rabbit a SS, glad you have enjoyed doing it you've got a job for life.

There is one thing, i hope you didn't put your Landy back together as well as you did the Monkey or your Doors would be opening the wrong way :good::D:P

And for all you stalkers out there no my shot placement was not that far back, as you can see in the picture of the Buck hanging up.

PELTMAN :good:

Given it was England where it was shot, and the minimum specs for deer, it had to be a .243 100grn at least, which would be obvious to anyone :stupid:

Small deer, and yes they don't need anything like that to kill them cleanly which is why its so.

Hopefully when people see sense, like in Scotland, the .22 CF cals will be seen as acceptable for such small deer :stupid:

Well done pelty and SS, I am well jealous, good do all round lads :good:

Given it was England where it was shot, and the minimum specs for deer, it had to be a .243 100grn at least, which would be obvious to anyone :stupid:

Pin in England it,s any soft nosed or hollow nosed bullet

The bullet weight you are referring to is for Scotland

Some good looking joints of venison there.well done fellas :stupid:

GH

Well done lads, that meat should make very good eating.

As for calibres, the smaller calibres will rip them up as well, if not more :stupid:

If minimal meat damage is the no1 priority large, slow bullets are used.

The only people I know who shoot for best butcher prices shoot 7x57's

The UK Deer laws do not state a bullet weight

Winchester make a 75 grain bullet that meet the balistic requirements

for shooting Deer in the UK

PELTMAN :stupid:

Second that PM,

For deer of any species a minimum calibre of .240 inches (.236 inches in Northern Ireland) and a minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.

BJ.

I wouldn't worry about it Pin, there is far more **** spoken on here by people who know considerably less than you :stupid:

Just noticed in picture 3 (the airfix kit munty picture) the ribcages have been reversed, as it is, it looks like the shot went back a bit, which it clearly didn't.

Hello & well done it's great to see you got good help as it's top meat & given respect or any game realy rabbit's/pheasant's etc.There is many way's to do this & break down a beast as i keep all my roe i kill & mince etc.I some time's cut from bum to neck down the spinal cord & do fit i do.Or front leg's off I then trim the rib's to the edge of saddle all the way down to front as i still get good saddle above shoulder's on my roe.I then saw off just forward of the shoulder's near to base of neck then if you feel at the haunche's to ward's the front of the beast end you find a bone that curve's round to the pelvic bone.I cut in there to cut off the whole saddle on the bone then cut into 2/3 bit's for roasting or you can take it off as a fillet.I then either mince haunche's or steak them depend's on fit i need.I will do pic's next time & put up might help understand more.

Hence the coment at the bottom of my post :stupid:

Oh yer :stupid: I read that now....

Trouble is, I am reading this in the office and I have a few 'interesting' things pop up on my screen, blood and guts could attract some negative responses :D so Ihave to fast forward through these sort of posts.

But I do know that if my dog was in bits I wouldn't ask SS to put it back together again :good:

Hence the coment at the bottom of my post :stupid:

Oh yer :stupid: I read that now....

Trouble is, I am reading this in the office and I have a few 'interesting' things pop up on my screen, blood and guts could attract some negative responses :lol: so Ihave to fast forward through these sort of posts.

But I do know that if my dog was in bits I wouldn't ask SS to put it back together again :good:

It would be the equivalent of frankensteins pet pooch :D:)