Ringneck/collard doves

Magpies are gay

they mostly feed in and around farm buildings,anywhwere you find spilt gain,cattle feed etc.they flight well between farms,always using the same flight lines.if you have a lot in one place then get two or three guns to "surround" the yard,the sport is excellent.roost shooting with an air rifle is good too,they roost on "my" bit of land in low blackthorn and ivy covered trees,much lower and later than woodies.after the first few shots they fly off but are determined to come back,just keep fairly still when roost shooting.

What they eat??

About 7 quid's worth of wild bird food a week according to my landlady. I've been "Taking Care" of her collared dove problem bit by bit for the last couple of weeks now.

They do taste nice though

Wookie

Ringneck/collard doves

Dont confuse the two MAG... Collard Doves ( Streptopelia decaocto) and Ring necked doves ( Streptopelia risoria ) are two different forms of the same species.

The Collard dove is one of the best success stories of British Birds. First bred in mainland britain in the 50,s ( Migrated across from Frog Land) and now reached almost every inhabited area of Mainland Britain.

They never venture far from man and are most common in parks and gardens and around farm buildings. They are a common site around grain silos but do not generally flock up and feed like woodies en mass. As such they are not really an agricultural pest on the same scale as woody.

They feed mainly on cereals, seed, & autumn berries.

They are extremely loyal and mate for life They prefer to roost lower than wood pigeon and in smaller numbers. I have about 20 or so roosting in thick Leylandi trees near the house.. I dont shoot them because to be honest I dont consider them a nuisence and like to see them in the garden..

However it is said that they are quite palatable..

FM.

there really dump

Mag... I think you mean they are really dumb..

infact that is not true... Pigeons and doves are amongst the most intelligent of the bird species... Could you find your way over from france at 2000 ft in fog, wind and rain to a predetermined point in the middle of nowhere. That is a feat we can only accomplish using the most sophisticated computer hardware... :D:lol:

By the way I am not sure they are classed as vermin and should be legally shot.. perhaps someone would enlighten us on this...

FM.

I think they are vermin because they eat the same stuff as pigeons,

:lol: Rock doves eat the same stuff as woodies and are far more numerous in my area than collared ones but they are on the protected list.

What food a bird eats has no bearing on whether it is legal to shoot it or not.

I think you are wrong there ern all Rock Doves( Columba Livia ) are classed as feral pigeons. Therefore are on the quarry list. How ever Stock Doves ( Columba Oenas ) are a protected spiecies.

:*) Perhaps i mean Stock doves then TC, I know that they look like small woodies without the white bits and i am not supposed to shoot them even though they come in to my decoys every time i go shooting. :D

:lol: Bloody Welsh ornithologist you. :lol::D

FISHER MAN MIKE you sure do know alot!! how long you been shooting!?

MAG... My wife thinks im full of useless information and my mates think i am full of s... :lol:

I got my first Airgun a BSA air sporter at 10 ( 36 years ago) a .410 s/b webley a year later. I have been pigeon and rough shooting most weeks since 15 years old.

I learn something new everyday....

My Gramp was a great Countryman.. He forgot more than I would ever know about country life, ways and means between the 20's & 70's

He was in the Gloucester Regiment and saw plenty of action against the Turks in the first war.

He said they could fight like hell...

He was a Brilliant shot with rifle or Shotgun... Rarely missed but chose his shots very carefully.. something the Army taught him "A wounded enemy can still pull a trigger" his Adjutant used to tell him.

I think he must have imparted some of his knowledge on me, but also when you are a boy growing up in the middle of nowhere, the countryside is all you know and all there is to entertain you during the long school Holidays..

FM.