Employment/insurance

leeds chimp

quick question....

did some work S.E and invoiced....they have deducted £7 for public liabilty insurance....states in the T+C they reserve the right to make a deduction if I dont have my own policy ...fair enough but in 15+ years of working in the industry I have never come across a firm actually charging this ...thinking will have to suck it up and not work for them again and be it a lesson...but speaking to a few of the people on site they also charge this to people that are PAYE??? thought you could not deduct for things like that??

I see, but unlike the others this one wants to charge for having you covered on there policy. ??

Basically yes.... I know its business to some extent so decided not to work for them again if this is the case as the policy they pay is tax deductible.... But to then charge it out too is wrong in my eyes

They also charge people that are PAYE this figure

i'd be asking to have a copy of that policy too, have you looked up how much your own insurance would cost? as far as i'm aware it's not a legal requirement either, but it does make good sense to have it. I worked the majority of my self employed life with no PL insurance of my own as I was covered under the main contractors or agencies insurance.

As already said, I'd want to see a copy of that policy myself on the grounds of seeing what I'd been charged for along with a proper invoice for it being self employed to keep my books right. Don't think I'd go as far as not working for them if they are a good paying customer though unless other work was there.

I'm self employed myself, one of the first things I done was to take out PL insurance and also professional indemnity insurance, both for large amounts, as we have too many parasitic no win no fee companies and people out to claim for anything these days. Training people to use expensive farm machinery and pesticides I saw them as essential expenses, the two together are just over £16 a month so not exactly expensive for peace of mind.

Sounds to me like your cutting off your noies of to spite your face for £7 or have I missed somthing

not really..this goes off what I make on the job so instead of taking home so £50 ..i only get £43 for the same amount of work .....first time I have had a company do that

As already said, I'd want to see a copy of that policy myself on the grounds of seeing what I'd been charged for along with a proper invoice for it being self employed to keep my books right. Don't think I'd go as far as not working for them if they are a good paying customer though unless other work was there.

I'm self employed myself, one of the first things I done was to take out PL insurance and also professional indemnity insurance, both for large amounts, as we have too many parasitic no win no fee companies and people out to claim for anything these days. Training people to use expensive farm machinery and pesticides I saw them as essential expenses, the two together are just over £16 a month so not exactly expensive for peace of mind.

i would be looking at £1000+ really on a single person policy

i'd be asking to have a copy of that policy too, have you looked up how much your own insurance would cost? as far as i'm aware it's not a legal requirement either, but it does make good sense to have it. I worked the majority of my self employed life with no PL insurance of my own as I was covered under the main contractors or agencies insurance.

same as me.....