Its finally happened a Beretta fault!

dougall

If I fire bottom barrel 1st,which usually do top barrel wont fire.If select top barrel all is good and bottom will fire....am guessing this is a sear issue?Shall take it in for a service.Do any of you experts know the internal workings of a 686?..Although I am not a DIY type I would like to know what the fault is..thanks.

Could be the tumbler that sets the second barrell via recoil, you can check this by putting snap caps in firing bottom barrell then tapping but on floor try second barrell if it doesn't work with a tap then tap it harder if second barrell fires then I am correct. Smith will take stock off and polish the tumbler , job done. Other than that broken sear or summat

Edited by ips

my mate had a beretta that cracked straight across the action face,under a year old.

Not good.However this was't a 'knock Beretta thread'...this is a 25 year old gun and a bit of wear & tear is inevitable....cheers red dot/ips..I shall confirm issue once a 'smith has had a look but was thinking bent/broken sear(there is no rattle of a snapped bit)...

The tip broke off one of my sears and after a bodged repair which made things worse i sent it to GMK who renewed every moving part inside the action for beer money.

Kept me informed all the way and there are dozens of little parts inside a Beretta O/U. Don't chance a repair unless the Smith has access to genuine parts.

Could be the tumbler that sets the second barrell via recoil, you can check this by putting snap caps in firing bottom barrell then tapping but on floor try second barrell if it doesn't work with a tap then tap it harder if second barrell fires then I am correct. Smith will take stock off and polish the tumbler , job done. Other than that broken sear or summat

Sounds most likely. A quick and inexpensive repair.

I have first hand experience of this happening on two small guage Beretta's that I owned from new. The bottom barrel would fire without any problem and on attempting to fire the top barrel the trigger would not allow the barrel to fire, despite my finger resting on the trigger guard between shots. When I moved the selector over to shoot the top barrel first there was no issue with the bottom barrel firing the second shot. Both guns, 20 gauge EELL and a 28 gauge EL 2, were repaired under warranty. After the repair, both guns performed faultlessly.

I have first hand experience of this happening on two small guage Beretta's that I owned from new. The bottom barrel would fire without any problem and on attempting to fire the top barrel the trigger would not allow the barrel to fire, despite my finger resting on the trigger guard between shots. When I moved the selector over to shoot the top barrel first there was no issue with the bottom barrel firing the second shot. Both guns, 20 gauge EELL and a 28 gauge EL 2, were repaired under warranty. After the repair, both guns performed faultlessly.

I have had at least a dozen beretta and only ever had this with the 687eell, funny that innit