Computer Keyboard - Alt

wymberley

When my foot slipped off the chair rail, thanks to ChrisP I now know what keys I accidentally pressed (My Urgent Help thread). Bit of a panic as I was half way through something which I really didn't want to lose as I wanted to get it emailed off. Finished it 'long hand' as it were, as what I was trying to do wasn't working quite right.

Not too au fait with computers, but figured there must be something so Googled and found it. Read the instructions (Windows 7), followed them - I think - but it's not working right in as much as I get the wrong symbols for the keys I've pressed.

I'm looking to use some mathematical symbols. With the 'Num Lock' on, 'Alt' held down and the codes I've found punched in, I don't get the correct symbols on the screen.

Could anyone kindly help with this?

Many thanks.

Make sure in setting -keyboards- is set to UK102 or something like that.

It's actually more than 10 years since I switched to MAC so the above is all guesswork from memory.

Sorry I can't be more specific

Many thanks, checked and found 'satis'.

What do you mean by incorrect symbols? You still see symbols - just not the ones you'd expect? Or is it as though the numlock isn't working?

Many thanks, yep. Have also discovered that I get something - again not right - without Num Lock.

Edited by wymberley

An alternative approach that may help is if you click on the Start button on the screen and then Run and then type Charmap.exe and press Enter

That will open up a window where you can see all of the characters available under each different font. So if there is a particular symbol that you are looking for you can browse through absolutely everything. Once you find what you want click on the symbol, press copy and then you can paste that into your document.

with num lock on

press and hold the alt key on the left of your space bar

on your number pad type in the 3 digit number

let go of the alt key - symbol appears

examples

alt+156 shows as £ on the screen

alt + 458 shows ╩

alt + 1 shows☺

mappings here http://www.alt-codes.net/

Again, many thanks. Your 3 examples work, but what do you get for the codes, 251, 227 and 242? I get ¹, Ò and ‗. Driving me around the twist. :hmm: