Out tomorrow....

Highlandladdie

Thank you Ew!

Morning started out bad. Arrived at shooting spot, but needed the toilet desperately. So rather than suffer I went home.

Once back, I made another clanger by changing the decoy pattern. First couple of skeins did not like it one bit. Bit of a change and we were off.

My shoot buddy and I got in position. There was loads of action about. Geese all out in the bay, calling getting ready to make their way in towards us.

1 skein headed our direction, a quick call got them on track. As they approached the skein split in 2, about 15 birds each, one half heading for me and the other for my buddies pattern further down the croft. I waited, my pulse red lining! About 50yds out it was clear they were committed, landing gear down. I let them get as close as I could. I took a Greylag with the first shot as it flared away to the left, a quick second shot brought down the one behind. Satisfaction!

With the lack of wind the geese were wary.

The next opertunity came when 2 skeins arrived at the same time, both were sliding to miss us. I gave another encouraging call, one goose seemed to really like it and started to commit dragging the others with it. As it came in left to right, I missed behind with the first shot but struck cleanly worn the second. The skein flared to my left, right over my buddy. The geese were high and motoring right to left over his head. He shot true and brought one down in cracking style. A really cracking shot.

That was our chances, and for once I'm glad to say we didn't squander them!

4 Greylags between us was a fine reward for the effort. Lovely morning too lots going on all around.

Edited by Highlandladdie