Gloves

walt1980

Whatever you do dont buy neoprene gloves, mine seem to have built in freezer plates. Wore them once winter fishing , never again. Old time fowlers would dip their hands in cold water then let them dry naturally, supposed to keep hands warm all day.

Blackpowder

I can relate to this, I used to have some Daiwa neoprene fishing gloves, if you got them in wet in snowy/cold weather my hands were painfully cold.

The best gloves i find are simple black leather driving gloves [tight fitting].

Look a bit gay but certainly work for me!

Edited by aga man

It's all about core temperature.

Neoprene gloves work for me, even wet if I'm moving. Static, for any length of time it's a different story.

Best recent creation is the pop up style belay jacket, designed for hanging around holding ropes for your mate on a draughty alp. Don it under your camo when you stop, remove it stuff it and stash it "in a pocket" when you get on the move.

An example here:

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/seasons-mens-padded-jacket-p15077.aspx/black/

Thats a fairly cheap example, and you pay more for bigger brands or lighter and tighter stuffing versions. But there are some great buys out there from the own-brand outdoor shops.

If you're core temp drops, the body removes blood from the extremities in a bid to maintain it, there are no glove (or socks) that can counter that.

Walking for half an hour carrying all your gubbins, then holding up for a few hours on a cold day is a challenge. Layering up or down, is really the only answer to staying comfortable outdoors, depending on activity, in cold and especially damp, weather.

So that and carrying spare gloves

Dent shooting gloves are superb. Buy a pair just a smidge too small, put on and work snoseal into them, and they'll be supple, waterproof, grippy, and warm as toast.

Only problem is that they're designed for those tall, wealthy, piano playing types with long slim fingers/hands - put a squat beefy working man's meat hooks into them and you end up with almost an inch of flappy glove end spare

Dents silk lined they are the best you will ever get

As above there good gloves you can still feel things when wearing them.

I have about a dozen different pairs of gloves and the ones for the marsh in deepest winter I wouldn't know if I'd picked a cartridge or a small torch out my bag.

Tried stormkloth, deertex, a few different neoprene some are like sponges and worse than no gloves at all others so tight they restrict movement and dexterity. Mac wet climates ok when dry cack and cold when gotten wet.

Edited by figgy