Scopes

pin

I have been searching and searching and reading and reading and now I am completely confused.

I want some better glass for the cz .17hmr. At the moment its got the hawke 6.5-20x50 IR nighteye on it. Was great on various air rifles but now at higher mag its not great.

Add to that I have been using things like Leupold's and Simmons and as you will know it can't compare.

So, forget budget, what would people recommend for the .17hmr?

I have been looking at and heard good things about the nikko sterling platinum nighteater, optics warehouse are doing a cracking price on them too. I was thinking this one. Any thoughts on them? Not being able to try these things before you buy just makes things complicated beyond belief.

Any help and pointers appreciated, I don't want to have to spend a grand if I don't have to. Mostly for rabbit shooting, eve/dusk and under the lamp, 30-200yds.

Pin, Its the very scope I run on my .17HMR and its a cracking bit of glass. For the price, you'd be hard pushed to find a better scope! Now the howevers, firstly, I have reduced my mag to 8x and find that this is good enough for most of the practicle shootin from the HMR. So consider tha you don't really need a high mag scope. Also take into consideration that the higher the mag is set on the less clarity you will get in the scope, especially at dusk and at night.

Secondly, parallax adjustment can prove to be a bother at times. If you want Parallax then the saddle mounted wheel is perfect but at standing shot ranges it is a complete pain in the you know what.

If money truly was no object, i'd go for one of the high end manufacturers with a medium variable mag and fixed parallax. How about one of these:

http://www.schmidtbender.com/precisionhunter.shtml

I recently went for a Nikko Sterling Nighteater, after being a big Leupold fan, and can't fault it for the money. To answer your question, I personally don't feel the MTC is £90 better than the Nikko. Also you need to consider the length of the lifetime of the glass (which is where a lot of expensive optics start paying for themselves), and personally from the info that you get on the MTC glass compared to the Nikko I would go with the Nikko :unsure:...particularly if you can get an excellent condition used one like I did! :good: The guy was 'upgrading' to a Nightforce...I have subsequently heard that the has sold the Nightforce and has gone back to a Nighteater! :angry:

Is the MTC £90 better than the Nikko?

I think so and the recticle is nice to use too!! it's easy to learn your ranges with and thats why a 200yrd shot is well within range (although i can stil do it with my Hawke Nighteye) - i have just ordered a couple more Viper's for me and Magman. i know the guy in the gunshop vey well and he gives me a good discout because i buy a lot of bullets and stuff from him.

Is it true that the mildots are only true at 16x?

I read that somewhere, might have been on the bbs, which would make it next to useless, would it not?

Not sure about that, I would have though it would depend on which focal plane the reticle was in?

I don't have an HMR, but for shooting very small objects at range I would say go for scope with the reticle in the second (ocular) plane if you can get one.

It's a tough one Pin, you need to see through them.

I doubt you need that quality of optics but they are the best of the best, only some of the lesser known brands get up there Kahles and Pecar for example.

Niko to Swaro for example will just be clarity, impossible to describe, and in fairness they are probably not 8 times (or whatever) better.

But..

I took an ex-colleague along to Bisley last month, his eyesight is truely apalling (he has heard the prescrition windscreen joke a dozen times...)

He shot a few guns at 200 yards, and had a go with my CZ.

That has a Swaro on it, he said 'for the first time this afternoon I can actually see bullet holes at 200 yards that amazing'

Whether I/you need that quality or not is another matter...

Even if it was the swaro, I'm flush at the moment so if I need to shell out the bucks so be it, I would be lost as to which one to get.

Ideally it would be something in between. Not sure I would be happy clanging a swaro about in my truck to shoot bunnies with a £300 rifle :angry:

Problem is, I don't know what's in between :unsure:

I think I need to try thinking about something else for a while, I've just confused myself even more.

Trouble is there is nothing really inbetween...I went round in circles like yourself Pin! The only inbetween is secondhand Swaro's, S&B's etc, and they're hard to come by, or snapped up faster than billyo! :unsure:

Even if it was the swaro, I'm flush at the moment so if I need to shell out the bucks so be it, I would be lost as to which one to get.

If you are flush now, buy it now, you may be harder up later :unsure:

Buy this, it will last you the rest of your life, and you can take it from gun to gun as trade them.

http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/produc...ski+4-16x50+PV/

York Guns do some good deals on secondhand stuff from time to time as well.

Not sure I would be happy clanging a swaro about in my truck to shoot bunnies with a £300 rifle :unsure:

"They" say that you should spend as much on your scope as on your rifle - so unless your planning on upgrading your rifle - a Viper or Nighteater should suit your present rifle perfectly.

There are loads of these...

"Spend as much as you can on your scope, and spend the change on a rifle"

or "Buy the best optics you can't afford"

That worked for me, now I can't afford to go shooting :unsure:

I have just noticed how easy it is to spend someone elses money!

All makes sense, I am just not sure I would be happy with £900 on top of the rifle for general field use.

I know they are built for it etc, but clang that and you feel it :unsure:

Moses: have you experience of the Light Stream scopes?

http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/proddetai...p?prod=NSP41650

I went for the nikko sterling 4-16 and have no complaints at all clarity under all conditions so far has been excellent shoots very well. Like you on a rimfire thats going to be used for bunnies sometimes from a truck I wanted something that wouldn't reduce me to tears if it broke :unsure:

This issue of the scope breaking appears to be coming up a lot - remember Leupold do a lifetime warrenty on their scopes. Their advert shows a guy who has dropped his rifle & scope...so I presume that it covers this type of accident too.