Scopes

pin

Now to really add some confusion :unsure:

I have a Webley Platinum 4 x 12 x 50 on my FAC Air Rifle and a 8 x 56 Schmidt on the .223 and I have to say with my eyesight the cheaper Webley is up there in the light gathering stake's .

Incidently I don't think you can get them now but I know they were made by Nikko Sterling :angry:

For £160 I can get a Nikko which people seem to rate, which will be enough glass for this rifle.

I will see some others at bisley soon and that might make me dip into my pockets and generate a bargain Nikko nearer the time :unsure:

Another vote for the Nikko, I have it on mine after trying out Axe's. I bought from the Optics warehouse and cant fault thier service, very very quick delivery and replies to emails.

Only put about 50 shots through the rifle with it but I get on just fine.

The design on the new ones is slightly different to Axe's, different IR controls and I like the side wheel focus adjustment.

Jerry

Is the MTC £90 better than the Nikko?

I think so and the recticle is nice to use too!! it's easy to learn your ranges with and thats why a 200yrd shot is well within range (although i can stil do it with my Hawke Nighteye) - i have just ordered a couple more Viper's for me and Magman. i know the guy in the gunshop vey well and he gives me a good discout because i buy a lot of bullets and stuff from him.

to buy two in a week say's it all i think , and to shoot 150 yard bunnie's with a 22 rf

viper all the way :unsure: :angry::good:

Now to really add some confusion :unsure:

I have a Webley Platinum 4 x 12 x 50 on my FAC Air Rifle and a 8 x 56 Schmidt on the .223 and I have to say with my eyesight the cheaper Webley is up there in the light gathering stake's .

Incidently I don't think you can get them now but I know they were made by Nikko Sterling :angry:

Yes you can still get them :good:

http://www.airpistol.co.uk/images/plat.jpg

buy one of the big 3 brands and get it for your future centrefire, see it as more of an investment, as you will probably never sell the scope.

Get a S+B, Swaro or Leupold (a good one)

you wont regret it, the only reason most people dont put these scopes on their rimfires is that they can only afford to justify them on centerfires.

Once you have got a centrefire and move it onto that, you will either be so hooked on good scopes that you buyanother, or i would recomend you bush a bushnell 4200, its the only good bushnell in my mind, and is a very good scope.

Alternatively meopta are very good (ask HD about their vari's, or i have used their fixed and they are great) there are also some other brands such as swift, who are under rated but their optics are much better than alot of these airgun scopes.

If in doubt DONT BUY HAWKE (my best piece of advice)

buy one of the big 3 brands and get it for your future centrefire, see it as more of an investment, as you will probably never sell the scope.

When this thread started yesterday, I was trying to add up how much money I had wasted getting to the scopes I have now.

I had 2 Hawkes on the rimmy (and I rate them for the money)

I had 2 Schmidt's on the .223

I had 2 Schmidts on the 6.5

Even though I never pay full whack for anything, I would have still sold those secondhand or traded them in at a loss, + all the different rings when the fittings aren't the same - it all adds up :D

All makes sense, I am just not sure I would be happy with £900 on top of the rifle for general field use.

I know they are built for it etc, but clang that and you feel it :D

Moses: have you experience of the Light Stream scopes?

Sorry for the delayed reply, travelling yesterday.

The guy I stalk with has the 4-14x44 on his quad 17hmr, he is 65 and has shot for 40+ years, he rates it as one of the best he has used (for the money).

I have used it twice for 100yd+ rabbits and could not fault it.

Moses.

was out with a mate last night, he was using my .17hmr with the hawke on top and i was using my .243 with the swarovski on top.

i proved a point to him about cheaper scopes - i had mine on 12 power(highest) and his was on 6 power (the lowest), he had 'lost' the light, but mine still had another half hour of good viewing time left - the higher up the scale you go in price and quility, the better scope you are going to get - its as simple as that.

Pin

As for what to put on your .17 HMR - i would still say the Viper as it is a close to a nightforce scope as your gonna get without shelling out well over a grand for the real thing.

Cheers paul

too late now but one of the lads here in Ireland that I go shooting with had a Niko sterling on his .17HMR and it is the worst scope i have ever looked through. I'd say it was close to defective

He has changed it since for leupold.

was out with a mate last night, he was using my .17hmr with the hawke on top and i was using my .243 with the swarovski on top.

i proved a point to him about cheaper scopes - i had mine on 12 power(highest) and his was on 6 power (the lowest), he had 'lost' the light, but mine still had another half hour of good viewing time left - the higher up the scale you go in price and quility, the better scope you are going to get - its as simple as that.

Cheers paul

just bought a nightforce myself will post pics later and can honestly say its easy to see where the money goes. Have also seen a friends leupold recently and it too is very good.

Well I saw two of the larger mtc vipers tonight, they look well made but I can't say I was over happy with the optics. At low mag they seem fine but at 10x or more they white out with tiny movements and I can't say they were very clear.

I am sure its a very personal thing but I am glad I didn't get one now.

Ordered and got the Nikko today.

Much brighter than the MTC, in my view. It is a big scope on a little rifle :stupid:

Off to zero him in now :stupid:

out last night with tullyuk and could use the mtc till lamp time no problems even on 12 + :good:

as for the nikko being brighter wait till the sun sets and compair them side by side :good:

For a mid priced scope that beats all others look at one that has not been mentioned - Th Weaver Grand Slam series.

I bought one and seeing the quality for money spent immediately bought another.

There are few about in the country so you will have a difficult job finding one but AGS are the importers so buy one direct. You will definitely not be disappointed I promise you.

http://www.weaveroptics.com/

http://www.airgunsport.com/

If you decide on one and have difficulty in getting it PM me as I am sure I can help put you in touch with someone and perhaps save you a few pennies.