squirrel control

Mice!

On 26/03/2024 at 18:49, old man said:

Another disappointing outing here, saw 1 fleetingly on way into location which just disappeared.

Then saw 1 about 2 hours later acting like a lib dim MP on steroids casing a lone voter finally ending up after 10 minutes hidden in a Laurel bush? 

On 25/03/2024 at 21:24, ratchers said:

As I was out last time in the morning and saw nothing even though the feed level had gone down I decided to give the afternoon a go although its not my favourite time of the day for shooting, I find it very quiet. So yesterday afternoon I was waiting patiently in ambush and did have some success with two shot in two hours so a change is as good as a rest!

I was out yesterday from 7 till 5 and only took 2 squirrels,  I was in and out of three woods, the weather was dreadful and there just wasn't anything about, even when the sun came out it was a trap and rained shortly afterwards. Watching the birds raid my feeder was entertaining though!

I shot one at 8am and the next at 4pm from the same feeder!

Screenshot_20240327-202801_Gallery.jpg.39fc75e3507fceb1388a38013180df56.jpg

Amazing how many birds went in and out.

Screenshot_20240327-202825_Gallery.jpg.dfd6d8be01cb39a4d7fcadfe95c7aa21.jpg

Screenshot_20240327-202750_Gallery.jpg.a3793bfb938e53498259e53fd38ab2c5.jpg

And people say feed wheat 😅😅

Better day today,  I had two on camera but only 1 showed up, windy but dry, till I packed up 🙈

Then I checked the new feeder on my way home knowing I was going to have an hour, there was a squirrel on the feeder, I got to the woods edge and didn't push my luck any more,  30mtrs Pfft Whack drop. 

I had a scan and spotted another that may have been there all along,  I waited it out and despite it not being happy it joined the other on the floor.

2 males. Big and small

And the Sun was out 😯😯

That's 27 from here now.

Screenshot_20240328-161200_Gallery.jpg.5142aefd70cbe0b44206b8e0cfc522f2.jpg

I had a msg off my mate mud morning saying his feeders are getting hammered,  he's shot 10 in two sessions. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Back out to the sydicates wood to ambush the flip top, quite a wait when out of the corner of my eye I saw a grey coming up close on the right, I stayed rock still and it passed just a couple of yards away and veered off towards the feeder then I lost sight of it, was waiting for it to hop on the feeder but nothing happened. Back waiting again when I heard the lid bang, ah ha squirrel on, shifted position to line up and squirrel gone, blast!  Waited for a long time again and nothing appeared on the box even though it was empty the day before, maybe they were that fat they couldn't move now. Was scanning all around when I saw a grey perched on a branch looking right at me, wasn't going to wait for it to go on the box, was gonna take my chance and this time it never moved until the pellet hit and down it went.

1 hour ago, ratchers said:

wasn't going to wait for it to go on the box, was gonna take my chance and this time it never moved until the pellet hit and down it went

I wouldn't have waited either, it had obviously clocked were you where and was deciding what to do.

Well done.

A much better morning today, despite it being a miserable wet one again I was under the brolley in one spot, the feed was well hit last week and this week so it looked good.

Screenshot_20240403-091952_Gallery.jpg.267208b6d7d1f3f0b38e6b15b764311b.jpg

They came in 2, then 4, then 1 despite the rain getting heavier, over roughly 3hrs, the 4 arrived in ten minutes while I was messaging my mate. 

Screenshot_20240403-141352_WhatsApp.jpg.5a91439c72284276511ecb29931b6053.jpg

Been a while since they've piled into a feeder like this 😁

Screenshot_20240403-140830_Gallery.jpg.be4197573d7cea2d83b9747a7b517dd4.jpg

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

A much better morning today, despite it being a miserable wet one again I was under the brolley in one spot, the feed was well hit last week and this week so it looked good.

Screenshot_20240403-091952_Gallery.jpg.267208b6d7d1f3f0b38e6b15b764311b.jpg

They came in 2, then 4, then 1 despite the rain getting heavier, over roughly 3hrs, the 4 arrived in ten minutes while I was messaging my mate. 

Screenshot_20240403-141352_WhatsApp.jpg.5a91439c72284276511ecb29931b6053.jpg

Been a while since they've piled into a feeder like this 😁

Screenshot_20240403-140830_Gallery.jpg.be4197573d7cea2d83b9747a7b517dd4.jpg

Nicely done Sir.

Stood amongst some laurel waiting for magpies with my shotgun when a large female squirrel appeared on an ivy-covered oak about ten yards in front of me.

As it paid the price of its indiscretions another scuttled around the tree. I waited for about twenty minutes and the second one, a male, emerged from the ivy to look at me, which was its last glance. 

I set them out in the field hoping to lure a magpie.

Two came into the adjoining trees but only one came down to the bait. I waited for the second to join it, but the first one spooked so I got neither. 

Sorry not airgun but next time....

IMG-20240406-WA0003.jpg.61f5a09b9232dc54f3aec659c5e5653d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Brief recap of last week.

Busy busy busy, I was out last Sunday after dark filling a feeder, and fixing the gap where the birds have been plundering the feed.

Monday it tipped it down so out Tuesday night again, checked two feeders and put two cameras up to see what's what for Thursday, it was gone 11pm when I left the woods but what a beautiful clear night with the stars shining and Owls calling.

In the wood this morning for 630am Wednesday and wow was it cold, no signs of any squirrels till 8am, then they weren't interested in the feeder, just each other or mooching about.

One appeared about 3 metres above me and started making a proper racket but finally ran off when I slowly looked around.

I had a few show up and look like they were going to the feeder to just vanish on me, then spotted one on a branch in almost plain view munching on something!! It looked huge in the thermal. 

The rain started at 930, I'd already gone for a walk about but wasn't seeing anything so left this wood meeting a nice couple on the way out, despite me having the gun out there was no issue, quick chat about what I was doing and I was on my way.

I'd seen the forecast and thought I'll go and sit it out, check a camera and might get another couple, the camera showed a squirrel all morning, but the rain and cold just kept getting worse, despite there being a Buck and doe mooching around no squirrels showed up, and after 3hrs I was cold and wet enough to admit defeat, this was the first blank off of here this year, and it was still raining hrs later, will it ever stop!!

Thursday ☆☆☆☆☆

What a difference today was, no rain and the sun shone 😁😁

I had 2 squirrels go past my feeder early on, both sniffed about and just moved on, my guess is they've were looking for a female, because I had three males after that, plus another that just went through the canopy. 

The third that showed up wasn't showing any interest in the feeder, normally I wait expecting them to hop up, but after the first two leaving I shot as soon as it stopped at about 30mtrs. 

Screenshot_20240411-154110_Gallery.jpg.5b679bf5f7cecfe21d6fcaf3fcdebc07.jpg

Screenshot_20240411-154056_Gallery.jpg.2dd5d7670de542ce3a63468bcbc37250.jpg

Perfect shot placement side on, and even at 30mtrs the JSB heavy went through. 

The next two did what's expected going straight up onto the feeder, both were leaning forwards,  the changes to the platform working a treat, both top of the head shots, both fell off leaving no mess.

Screenshot_20240411-154033_Gallery.jpg.ac6b79efc75cdd9f0e5483801bd731f2.jpg

It looked a perfect morning for a walk, but I'd left my spare thermal battery in work 😱🙈 I've no doubt I may have gotten lucky just going for a walk, but it's hard terrain and without the thermal your almost walking around blind.

So after yesterday's wash out I'd checked the camera and had a squirrel all morning so I went back for that one.

It was on the feeder when I arrived and moved off, but came back after 15 mins, and all my wet gear I'd left out from the day before had dried 😁

Screenshot_20240411-153951_Gallery.jpg.15a1a67eab02a8a661786a95864ae16d.jpg

Another male.

I'd packed up after an hour, brolley, nets, chair, sticks and gun, stretched my back on a fallen tree when I saw another squirrel behind the feeder,, and we try to be so discreet. 

Gun back out, loaded and waited and got a bonus female a few minutes later, straight up on the feeder, flippedthe lid and lookedcmy way, very happy with that.

Screenshot_20240411-153919_Gallery.jpg.2ecab110930a980c5c80edbbee5691af.jpg

Also saw a squirrel in the canopy on the Oak buds, it may have been the first I've seen because it wasn't raining sideways for a nice change. 

Not the best picture but always nice to see the blue bells coming out.

Screenshot_20240411-154012_Gallery.jpg.9b834d2c17ae4c9c1cef95b02fec5e82.jpg

Well brief ish 😅

Yes the weather has been a bit damp but managed to get out twice last week and scored three and had to do a temporary fix on a flip top lid which was empty and chewed. Well back today and nothing doing on the first feeder, level hardly gone down, so on to the temp mended one and no peanuts and no lid!, I did have the foresight to take another flip top with me so swapped them over and waited in a very cold breeze for something to happen, three hours later all I had seen was a randy hare chasing his mate.

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

49 minutes ago, ratchers said:

Yes the weather has been a bit damp but managed to get out twice last week and scored three and had to do a temporary fix on a flip top lid which was empty and chewed. Well back today and nothing doing on the first feeder, level hardly gone down, so on to the temp mended one and no peanuts and no lid!, I did have the foresight to take another flip top with me so swapped them over and waited in a very cold breeze for something to happen, three hours later all I had seen was a randy hare chasing his mate.

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

Think you've got a beaver!!

I've just finished repairing a chewed uo feeder, it's easier to start again,  combination of ply coming apart and the chewing meant I had to cut right back, but the beast holds 6kg now, going back up this week.