Cut and Recrown

nnorman32

10 hours ago, JJsDad said:

If you believe this; there are a lot of gunmakers and gunsmiths in this country who are regularly breaking the law concerning the rules of proof !. While some forms of barrel work does require re-proof, regulating or easing the chokes is not classed as structually weakening the barrel(s).

The Gunmakers and Gunsmiths are not breaking the law, potentially the seller is though.

On 12/22/2017 at 18:03, J D Hunter said:

I believe that if you take away metal from a pressure bearing component, you can only re-sell or gift the modified firearm component once it has been reproofed.

An RFD here might be able to correct my understanding :)

Shortening a shotgun or rifle barrel does not require re proof. 

On 12/22/2017 at 23:20, Scully said:

I fail to see how shortening a shotgun barrel ( or a rifle barrel for that matter ) can take it out of proof. What are you proofing? The but that remains is unchanged and the bit you removed is no longer there, so what is there to proof? 

No it doesn't need reproofing. Been there done that. Many times. 

As a gun barrel maker of over 30 years. (jeez time flies) I can tell you that you do not need to reproof a gun if you shorten the barrels. That is for rifles and shotguns. 

I had a customer that blew up the end of his Beretta from poking it in the mud. I chopped off the damage and squared off the muzzle. I called the proof house for guidance. I was told that I had removed the damage and that no alterations were made to the "structure" of the barrels so they were not needed to be reproofed. Horses mouth.